India is a South Asian country on a peninsula extending into the Indian Ocean, having a capital city of New Delhi. Its the second most populous country (after China). Most of the population is Hindu (81%) but it also has a large Muslim population. English is a major language which came from hundreds of years of British rule which India finally cast off in 1947 under a resistance led by Mahatma Gandhi. 
Cigarette advertsing is banned in India and the government does not allow companies to increase their capacities for manufacturing cigarettes. Philip Morris has an India office, which is a subsidiary of Philip Morris International, based in Switzerland. India has a 96 billion sticks-a-year cigarette market which is dominated by Imperial Tobacco Company, which controls about 65% share.
Related SourceWatch articles
- Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan - President (1962-7)
- BRIC Alliance
- India's oil industry
- nuclear weapons / weapons of mass destruction
- Russia-China-India "strategic triangle"
- The Coalition for Partnership with India
- U.S.-India Business Council
- U.S.- India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Initiative
- US-India Institute for Strategic Policy
- Country Studies: India, Library of Congress.
- Background Note: India, U.S. Department of State.
- India, CIA The World Factbook.
- Country profile: India, BBC, Last Updated February 4, 2006.
- India, Geographia.com.
- India, Wikipedia.
Government & Agencies
- Government of India Directory.
- The President of India.
- Prime Minister of India's Office.
- Parliament of India.
- Supreme Court of India.
- Election Commission of India.
- Embassy of India in the United States.
- Indian Space Research Organisation.
- Security and Exchange Board India.
- Bombay Stock Exchange Limited (BSE).
- National Stock Exchange of India Limited.
- Bank of India.
- Reserve Bank of India. India's Central Bank.
- State Bank of India.
- Maps of India, Perry-CastaÃ±eda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin.
- Maps of India.com.
- Map of India, Lonely Planet.
- Maps of India, World Atlas.com.
- All India Radio.
- Deccan Herald.
- Express India. The Indian Express Group.
- Hindustan Times.
- India Daily.
- Indymedia Mumbai.
- MSN India.
- Outlook India.
- Press Trust of India (PTI).
- Radio BakBakwaas. India's Online Radio.
- Rediff India Abroad.
- The Hindu.
- The Telegraph India.
- The Times of India.
- The Tribune (Chandigarh, India).