International Commission on Climate and Energy Security
The International Commission on Climate and Energy Security (ICCES) is a project of GLOBE International which was launched in October 2000.
In announcing the project, GLOBE International President, Elliot Morley stated that his organisation would convene a meeting of the commission in February in Washington DC. "The Commission will comprise senior legislators from the G8+ countries that are close to their respective heads of government. The remit of the Commission will be to explore in depth the specific outcomes required from the G8 Summit to maximise the chances of success at COP15 in Copenhagen and to identify, and break down using evidence based economic analysis, the most difficult obstacles to progress in each of the G8+ countries. We are asking each G8+ leader to appoint a senior legislator to the Commission to represent their interests and report directly to them in the build up to the Italian G8 Summit," he said.
"We will be inviting key business leaders and experts such as the International Emissions Trading Association to inform the Commission and McKinsey and Co will develop the underpinning economic analysis, in conjunction with local partners where appropriate," he continued.
The Globe International webpage for the comission states that it will
- work on "identifying key political and economic hurdles on an international and national basis and suggesting solutions, underpinned by robust economic analysis from McKinsey and the Climate Works Foundation;
- "Conduct an examination of the short, medium and long term role of International Financial Institutions (IFIs)";
- "Developing a work strand relating to the climate change and energy related priorities for the Italian G8 Summit in 2009";
- "Deepening the public-private discussions on key mitigation technologies such as Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS), buildings efficiency, renewables and sectoral approaches";
- "Preparing legislators for the ratification process of a Copenhagen agreement."
Resources and articles
- Elliot Morley, "Global slowdown strengthens case for low carbon transition", Speech to the World Bank, October 11, 2008.
- GLOBE International, "International Commission on Climate And Energy Security", accessed October 2008.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|