Lingan power station
graphic position=top | background=FFF | border=BA2725 | image=/images/a/aa/Coalswarm_badge.gif | width=216 | height=60 | title=Portal:Coal Issues | link=http://coalswarm.org |text=This article is part of the Coal Issues portal on SourceWatch, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy. See here for help on adding material to CoalSwarm.}}
Lingan power station is a 632-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Lingan, Nova Scotia, Canada.
The map below shows the plant in Lingan, Nova Scotia, Canada.
The plant burns coal and features four boilers and two 152 m (500 ft) chimneys. The plant consumes 1.5 million tonnes of coal per year and currently generates approximately twenty-five percent of the province's electricity, while producing roughly fifty percent of the province's air pollution, including hydrochloric acid, sulphuric acid, hexachlorobenzene and mercury.
In December 2018 the federal government finalized regulations requiring all coal-fired plants in Alberta, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to be retired by December 31, 2029. Unit 3 is scheduled to be retired once the Muskrat Hydro project comes online in 2020.
- Sponsor: Nova Scotia Power Inc
- Parent Company: Emera
- Location: Lingan, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Coordinates: 46.235541,-60.03927 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 4 x 158.2 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date: 1979
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source: Domestic
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- Lingan Generating Station, Wikipedia, accessed January 2019
- NPRI Data Search, Government of Canada, accessed 2011
- Lingan Plant Province's Top Polluter, Cape Breton Post September 24, 2003 (via Safe cleanup.com)
- Swapping coal for natural gas not a solution, warns Ecology Action Centre, CBC, Dec. 14, 2018
Related SourceWatch articles
Wikipedia also has an article on Lingan Generating Station (Lingan Generating Station). This article may use content from the Wikipedia article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.