Lubu power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Zimbabwe|
Lubu power station is a proposed 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Matabeleland North Province, in northwest Zimbabwe.
The map below shows Hwange District, the approximate location for the proposed power station, at the potential Lubu Coal Project.
In September 2015 Sable Mining signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Chinese developer Citic Construction to develop a 600 MW coal-fired power plant. The plant would be built at Sable's 20,000 hectare Lubu coal project, located in the Karro Mid Zambezi coal basin of the Hwange (Wankie) mining district in north-western Zimbabwe. The mine would supply coal to the power station.
In a media statement Sable Mining stated that "under the terms of the MoU, Sable and CITIC will explore the opportunities of using their respective expertise to work together to develop a commercial coal-fired power station at Lubu. It is the intention that coal mined at Lubu ... will supply the power station. The MoU is supported by the Republic of Zimbabwe and the Ministry of Energy and Power Development, which is the administration in charge of power development, in line with its mandate to promote the development of energy and power generation in Zimbabwe."
In the media release announcing an MOU Sable Mining's CEO Andrew Groves stated that "The combination of our quality coal together with CITIC's access to power plant infrastructure, financing and construction expertise has the potential to create a long term power supply which, due to Lubu's strategic location in north-west Zimbabwe, could supply both domestic and regional demand once connected to the established power grid."
In September 2015, New Zimbabwe reported Sable Mining (later renamed Consolidated Growth Holdings) and CITIC Group were still interested in building the 600 MW power plant. With no further progress on the project in over two years, it appears that the project has been shelved or abandoned.
- Sponsor: Sable Mining (renamed Consolidated Growth Holdings)
- Parent company: Consolidated Growth Holdings
- Developer: Citic Construction
- Location: Hwange District, Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
- Coordinates: -17.833333, 31.05 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Gross Capacity: 600 MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Lubu coal mine
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Sable Mining looks to build power plant in Zim," Mining Weekly, Sep 21, 2015
- Sable Mining, "MoU on Zimbabwean Coal Power Station Development", Media Release, September 21, 2015.
- "Sable mining to build own 600 MW coal-fired power station," New Zimbabwe, September 27, 2015