Dr. Matthew Alford's research focuses on the relationship between Hollywood, political institutions, and propaganda in the West. His own feature film, The Writer with No Hands was premiered in the Future Cult Classics strand at Hot Docs, Toronto and went on to receive three festival wins, eight further nominations, and distribution via international television platforms. He is based at the University of Bath and is Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Matthew Alford, The Writer with No Hands, 2016.
- TJ Coles and Matthew Alford (2018) Union Jackboot: What Your Media and Professors Don't Tell You About British Foreign Policy, Ate Books, 2018.
- Matthew Alford and Tom Secker (2017) National Security Cinema: The Shocking New Evidence of Government Control in Hollywood, Drum Roll Books.
- Matthew Alford (2010) "Reel Power: Hollywood Cinema and American Supremacy", Pluto Press.
- Matthew Alford (2018) A Screen Entertainment Propaganda Model in Jeff Klaehn et al. The Propaganda Model Today, Westminster UP
- Matthew Alford and Patrycyja Nick (2018) As Childish Gambino shows, pop music can be powerfully political – despite censorship The Conversation, May 18th
- Tom Secker and Matthew Alford 'New Evidence for the Surprisingly Significant Propaganda Role of the Central Intelligence Agency and Department of Defense in the Screen Entertainment Industry' Critical Sociology, November 2017, Pages 1-13
- Tom Secker and Matthew Alford 'Why are the Pentagon and the CIA in Hollywood?' American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Volume 76, Issue 2, March 2017, Pages 381–404
- Matthew Alford, "The Political Impact of the Department of Defense on Hollywood Cinema", Quarterly Journal of Film and Video, 30th January 2016.
- Matthew Alford, "Why Not a Propaganda Model for Hollywood?", in Philip Hammond (ed), Screens of Terror (Arima, 2011).
- Robbie Graham and Matthew Alford, "A History of Government Management of UFO Perceptions Through Film and Television", 49th Parallel, Spring 2011.
- Synaesthesia Journal, , 2013.