Mavuso Msimang "did his undergraduate studies in South Africa and Zambia and obtained his MBA degree in Project Management at the US International University in San Diego, California. He subsequently (after 1977) joined the United Nations and worked for them in Zambia, Kenya and Ethiopia. He also worked for the World University Service of Canada (WUSC) and CARE International as Country Director in Ethiopia and Kenya, respectively and was appointed Head of Emergency Programmes for WUSC, working out of Ottawa, Canada.
"Msimang's international experience spans the management of a range of projects that include rural water supplies, health, sanitation, agro-forestry, environmental education, refugee programs as well as emergencies, man-made and caused by natural disasters.
"Mavuso Msimang returned to South Africa in 1993 and directed an EU/Kagiso Trust funded integrated development project on the coastal plains of Kwa-Zulu Natal. He subsequently entered the tourism sector serving as Executive Director of SA Tourism and CEO of Tourism KZN and CEO of South African National Parks before taking up his current assignment as CEO of the State Information Technology Agency." 
"Mavuso has 27 years’ experience in management at executive level. He was involved in the successful transformation and restructuring of various state-owned entities over a period of 16 years until 2010. Mavuso was director-general of the South African Department of Home Affairs and previously served successively as CEO of the State Information Technology Agency, South African National Parks and SA Tourism. He was country representative of international development organisations World University Service/Canada and CARE-International in Ethiopia and Kenya, respectively. He also held senior management positions with UNICEF and the World Food Program. He currently consults in the conservation and tourism sectors." 
- Director, Harmony Gold
- Former Director, Exxaro 
- Deputy Chair, African Parks Network 
- Trustee, Nedbank Green Trust 
- Trustee, WWF South Africa 
Resources and articles
- African Parks Foundation, African Parks Foundation, accessed October 20, 2007.
- Harmony Gold Board, organizational web page, accessed September 20, 2012.
- Directors, Exxaro Resources, accessed June 24, 2009.
- Board, African Parks Network, accessed December 15, 2011.
- Nedbank Green Trust, organizational web page, accessed January 10, 2013.
- WWF Board, organizational web page, accessed March 9, 2019.