The Milken Institute was founded in 1991 "with a mandate to step outside the box and find new ways to create jobs and generate capital for entrepreneurs both locally and globally." 
- Betsy Zeidman - senior fellow
Board of Directors
The institute does not disclose its funding sources on its website but has different classes of supporters including:
- Milken Institute Associates: for individuals who contribute over $1,000;
- Milken Institute Council: for individuals who contribute ober $5,000 or corporations or foundations over $10,000.
- Milken Institute President’s Circle: Individual contributors over over $25,000 or corporate/foundation gifts of over $50,000 "have the opportunity to direct their gifts toward specific areas of research";
- Milken Institute Chairman’s Circle: contributors of over $100,000 "may direct their gifts into specific areas of research or projects. These gifts generate direct results with the issuance of a report detailing the work’s outcome and recommendations for implementation and future research in that area."
- Milken Institute
- 1250 Fourth Street
- Santa Monica, CA 90401
- Phone: (310) 570-4600
- Fax: (310) 570-4601
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org