Millennium Peace Prize
(Redirected from Millenium Peace Prize)Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Millennium Peace Prize
"On 8 March 2001, International Women's Day, The United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM) and International Alert will award the Millennium Peace Prize for Women. The Peace Prize is a part of the Women building Peace Campaign, organized by International-Alert, a global effort to raise global awareness of womenÈs experiences and perspectives of peace and conflicts and support the active participation of women in all levels of peace building.
"Six prizes are awarded to individuals and organizations:
- Dr Flora Brovina, the Kosovar Albanian humanitarian, peace and human rights campaigner imprisoned in 1999 by Serbian authorities;
- Veneranda Nzambazamariya, posthumously awarded for her role in promoting peace and reconciliation and helping women rebuild their lives in Rwanda after the 1994 genocide;
- The human rights activists and lawyers Asma Jahangir and Hina Jilani, who have risked their lives in defence of women and minorities in Pakistan;
- Leitana Nehan Women's Development Agency for its cross community work for peace during and after the nine year war between Bougainville rebels and the Papua New Guinea military;
- Ruta Pacifica de las Mujeres, a nationwide coalition that campaigns for peace in Colombia and helps to create alternative peace proposals at a community level;
- Women in Black, a worldwide network of women against war, violence and militarism that you know well. When informed of the Prize, Women in Black in Belgrade stated that they accept the prize on behalf of the worldwide movement." 
Prize Selection Committee 
- Rt. Hon. Helen Clark - Prime Minister of New Zealand
- H.E. Ruth Perry - Former Head of State of Liberia (pictured right with Flora Brovina)
- Slavenka Drakulic - World-renowned journalist and novelist
- Laura Esquivel - Author of 'Like Water for Chocolate’.
- Jose Ramos Hortas - Winner of Nobel Peace Prize
- Pratibha Parmar - Award-winning filmmaker
- Alice Walker - US-based activist and author
- Olivia Ward - Journalist for the Toronto Star
- Monica McWilliams - Member of Northern Ireland Assembly
- Olara Otunnu - Special Representative Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict
- Noeleen Heyzer - Executive Director UNIFEM
- Kevin Clements - Secretary-General International Alert
Resources and articles
- ↑ Millennium Peace Prize, Women in Black, accessed September 17, 2007.
- ↑ Millenium Peace Prize for Women, International Alert, accessed September 17, 2007.