Mizzima News Agency
Mizzima News "was established in August 1998 by a group of Burmese journalists in exile with the aim of promoting awareness about the ongoing situation in Burma and promoting democracy and freedom of expression in Burma by improving the flow of information in and out of the country and through advocacy and lobbying...
"Mizzima has been working on collecting information and sending alerts on press freedom in Burma and restrictions on flow of information into and out of the country. We monitor violations of freedom of expression, freedom of information and media freedom and send alerts to the South East Asian Press Alliance whenever such infractions are committed...
"Mizzima actively works to bring Burmese media organisations together through a common working relationship. As a result, Burma News International, a network of Burmese media groups, was established in 2003...
"In 2006, Mizzima News received, with thanks, financial assistance from the following donors.
1. The National Endowment for Democracy (US) 2. International Media Support (Denmark) 3. Internews (Thailand) 4. The Southeast Asian Press Alliance, SEAPA 5. The Open Society Institute Development Foundation, (US) 6. The Euro-Burma Office, (Belgium) 7. The Burma Relief Center (Thailand) 8. Free Voice, (The Netherlands) 9. The Netherlands Embassy in India (Fund directly go into Indian NGO)" 
- Mizzima News is a member of Burma News International (BNI), a network of Burma’s independent media organizations.
- Mizzima News is an interim member of International Freedom of Expression exchange (IFEX)..
- Mizzima.tv is affiliated with www.asia247.tv
Advisory Board (2004 at least) 
- Kuldip Nayar, Senior Journalist and former Member of Parliament (India)
- Prof. Ba Thann Win, Former Foreign Affairs Advisor to the Government of Burma 1975-79 (Canada)
- Bo Kyaw Nyein, Former Political Prisoner; Former Manager, Cisco Systems, Inc. (USA)
- Subir Bhaumik, Writer and BBC-East India Correspondent (India)
- Dr. Maung Maung Myint, General Secretary -Burma Media Association (Norway)
- Khin Maung Win, International Broadcaster and Senior Supervisory Editor (Retired), Voice of America (USA)
- Venkat S. Narayan, Former President of Foreign Correspondents' Club of South Asia (India)
Advisory Board (2006)
- Kuldip Nayar, senior journalist and former Indian Member of Parliament (India)
- Ba Thann Win, former foreign affairs advisor to the Government of Burma 1975-79 (Canada)
- Bo Kyaw Nyein, former political prisoner and former manager, Cisco Systems Inc. (US)
- Subir Bhaumik, writer and BBC-East India correspondent (India)
- Maung Maung Myint, general secretary of the Burma Media Association (Norway)
- Khin Maung Win, retired international broadcaster and senior supervisory editor, Voice of America (US)
- Venkat S. Narayan, former president of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of South Asia (India)
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- About, Mizzima News Agency, accessed March 16, 2008.
- Affiliation, Mizzima News Agency, accessed March 16, 2008.
- Mizzima Advisory Board, Mizzima News (Cached page 2004), accessed March 16, 2008.
- [hhttp://web.archive.org/web/20060709041830/www.mizzima.com/MizzimaNews/Others/advisoryboard.html Mizzima Advisory Board], Mizzima News (Cached page 2006), accessed March 16, 2008.