Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mohammad Yunus Chairman and Founder, Grameen Bank Board, UN Foundation; Ambassador, UNAIDS
According to Susan FeinerDrucilla Barker writing in the Dominion in 2007:
- "Grameen Bank founder Muhammad Yunus won the Nobel Peace Prize because his approach to banking reinforces the neoliberal view that individual behavior is the source of poverty and the neoliberal agenda of restricting state aid to the most vulnerable when and where the need for government assistance is most acute." 
Walden Bello writes:
- "So probably the best way we can honor Muhammad Yunus is to say, Yes, he deserves the Nobel Prize for helping so many women cope with poverty. His boosters discredit this great honor and engage in hyperbole when they claim he has invented a new compassionate form of capitalism--social capitalism, or "social entrepreneurship"--that will be the magic bullet to end poverty and promote development." 
- Director, Better World Fund 
- Director, Global Humanitarian Forum 
- Director, Grameen Foundation 
- Director, Schwab Foundation 
- Director, United Nations Foundation
- Advisory Board (2002), Center for the Global South 
- Advisory Council, Global Philanthropy Forum 
- Advisory Council, Points of Peace Foundation
- Advisory Committee, Whole Planet Foundation 
- Director, RESULTS 
- Advisory Board, Stockholm Challenge
- Advisory Council, Trickle Up 
- International Advisor, The YES Campaign
- International Advisor, OneWorld International 
- Co-chair, State of the World Forum
- Counsellor, One Young World 
- Member, Africa Progress Panel 
- Winner of 2005 Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute: Four Freedoms Award
- Winner of the 2003 Volvo Environment Prize
- Winner of the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize
- Winner of the 1994 World Food Prize 
- Honorary Member, Club of Budapest: Members
- International Advisory Board, Center for Visionary Leadership 
- International Advisory Board, Women for Women International 
- International Advisory Board, Jane Goodall Institute 
- Patron, UK Social Investment Forum 
- Ambassadors Council (cochair), Freedom from Hunger 
- Former Member, The Elders 
- Winner of 1994 International Pfeffer Peace Prize 
- Winner of the 1998 Sydney Peace Prize
- Member-at-large, Millennium Ecosystem Assessment 
- Leader, B Team 
- Patrick Bond, "A Run on Grameen Bank's Integrity: Founder's Career Ends in Disgrace", Counterpunch, April 27, 2011.
Resources and articles
- Susan FeinerDrucilla Barker, "Microcredit and Women's Poverty", The Dominion, January 17, 2007.
- Walden Bello, "Microcredit, Macro Issues", Znet, October 21, 2006.
- About, Better World Fund, accessed April 4, 2009.
- Directors, Global Humanitarian Forum, accessed December 2, 2009.
- Directors, Grameen Foundation, accessed December 11, 2007.
- Board, Schwab Foundation, accessed November 20, 2010.
- Advisory Board, American University, accessed November 14, 2008.
- Advisory Council, Global Philanthropy Forum, accessed January 9, 2010.
- Whole Planet Foundation Advisory Committee, organizational web page, accessed April 4, 2012.
- Staff and Board, RESULTS, accessed February 16, 2010.
- Advisory Council, Trickle Up, accessed September 1, 2009.
- International Advisers, OneWorld, accessed January 29, 2008.
- Counsellors, One Young World, accessed January 8, 2011.
- About, Africa Progress Panel, accessed January 13, 2011.
- The World Food Prize Laureates, World Food Prize, accessed December 9, 2007.
- Staff, Center for Visionary Leadership, accessed November 28, 2008.
- Advisory Board, Women for Women International, accessed November 15, 2008.
- International Advisory Board, Jane Goodall Institute, accessed November 19, 2011.
- Directors, UK Social Investment Forum, accessed November 3, 2009.
- Ambassadors Council, Freedom from Hunger, accessed April 30, 2010.
- About, The Elders, accessed February 10, 2011.
- International Pfeffer Peace Prize, Fellowship of Reconciliation, accessed March 13, 2011.
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment Board, organizational web page, accessed November 28, 2014.
- B Team, Virgin, accessed May 25, 2015.