Dr. Noel Brown "was until recently the North American Director of the United Nations Environment Programme. Dr. Brown has been affiliated with the United Nations for nearly twenty years, during which time he initiated and led a wide variety of important international efforts, including the Global 500 Award and the "Art in Service for the Earth" series. He serves on the boards of several organizations, including the Aspen Global Change Institute, Environmental Media Associates and the Global Business Forum." 
"Dr. Noel Brown is the former Director of the United Nations Environment Programme, North American Regional office. Dr. Brown holds a B.A. in Political Science and Economics from Seattle University, an M.A. in International Law and Organization from Georgetown University and Ph. D. in International Relations from Yale University. He also holds a diploma in International Law from The Hague Academy of International Law. He is a founding member of the Aspen Global Change Institute, the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives, and Indigenous Development International.
Dr. Brown currently serves as President of the Friends of the United Nations. He is a fellow of the World Academy of Arts and Sciences, Chairman of the International Institute for Peace through Tourism and Chairman of the Rene Dubos Center for Human Environments. Dr. Brown has been a Visiting Professor at both U.S. and foreign universities, teaching on the subject of International Law and Organization, Government and Politics, and Environmental Management. He was a distinguished lecturer at the University of Victoria, British Columbia and an associate of the Queen Elizabeth Trust for Young Australians. Dr. Brown was the 1996 Leo Bloc Professor at the University of Denver and is currently the Director of training at the International Oceans Institute, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Dr. Brown serves on the Board of Directors of the Climate Institute, the Earth Communications Office, the Rainforest Alliance, MUSE, Film & Television, the Center for Resource Management, Global Education Associates, Trust for the Americas, the International Leadership Development Institute, Roots of Peace, International Sea-keepers Society, the Timbuktu Heritage Institute and Jamaica National Parks Trust Fund." 
- Director, Climate Institute
- Director, Rainforest Alliance
- Advisory Board, Global Alliances 
- Advisory Council (1975), Planetary Citizens 
- 1989 Earth Day Honoree, Earth Society Foundation 
- Advisory Board, Airline Ambassadors 
- "Rainforest Alliance Board of Directors", (Biographical note), Undated, Accessed June 2007.
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Directors, Roots of Peace, accessed November 26, 2007.
- Core Team, Global Alliances, accessed January 8, 2009.
- United Nations Items-in-Secretary-General's Statements, organizational web page, accessed May 4, 2012.
- Honorees, Earth Society Foundation, accessed July 24, 2008.
- Directors, Airline Ambassadors, accessed February 23, 2009.