Palmetto Promise Institute
The Palmetto Promise Institute (formerly the Palmetto Policy Forum) is a right-wing advocacy group based in South Carolina. It is a member of the State Policy Network, a web of state pressure groups that denote themselves as "think tanks" and drive a right-wing agenda in statehouses nationwide. It was founded in 2009 as the "Palmetto Fort Foundation" and changed its name in November 2012, according to its IRS filings. However, in February 2013, local and national press proclaimed that a new organization had been launched by former U.S. Senator and Heritage Foundation President Jim DeMint. DeMint injected $300,000 of his remaining campaign funds into the group and was thus named its "Founding Chairman." No mention was made of the organization's history as the relatively small "Palmetto Fort Foundation." PPF's own website explains that it was "relaunched" in 2013, "championed and energized by Jim DeMint."
The Palmetto Promise Institute is not required to disclose its funders. Its major foundation funders, however, can be found through a search of the IRS filings. Here are some of the known funders of the Palmetto Promise Institute:
- Total Revenue: $551,452
- Total Expenses: $460,257
- Net Assets: $195,746
- Total Revenue: $490,432
- Total Expenses: $464,430
- Net Assets: $103,487
- Total Revenue: $356,125
- Total Expenses: $385,957
- Net Assets: $77,415
- Total Revenue: $514,953
- Total Expenses: $436,084
- Net Assets: $107,247
- Total Revenue: $62,804
- Total Expenses: $43,535
- Net Assets: $28,378
- Total Revenue: $7,545
- Total Expenses: $13,441
- Net Assets: $9,109
- Total Revenue: $13,110
- Total Expenses: $13,880
- Net Assets: $15,005
- Total Revenue: $30,095
- Total Expenses: $14,320
- Net Assets: $15,775
As of November 2018::
- Ellen E. Weaver, President and CEO (former State Director, U.S. Senator Jim DeMint's staff)
- Dr. Oran P. Smith (former President and CEO of the Palmetto Fort Foundation), Senior Fellow
- Richard McAdams, Director of Development
- Rebecca Gunnlaugsson, Visiting Fellow
- Jonathan Butcher, Visiting Fellow
- Kate Maroney (former Press Secretary, U.S. Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ); former Deputy Press Secretary, U.S. Rep. Dan Burton (R-IN)), Executive Assistant to the President & CEO
- Elisabeth W. Kines, Executive Vice President
- Jessi Knight Blake, Development Director
- Bailey P. Hughes, Strategic Communications Coordinator
- Adam M. Crain, Research Assistant
Board of Directors
As of November 2018:
- C. Dan Adams, Chairman (President and CEO, The Capital Corporation)
- Michael R. Brenan, Director (President, BB&T South Carolina)
- Wendy Damron, Director
- Jim DeMint, Honorary Founding Chairman (former U.S. Senator; President, Heritage Foundation)
- Van Hipp, Director (Chairman, American Defense International, Inc.)
- Phil R. Hughes, Director (President, Hughes Investments, Inc.)
- Mikee Johnson, Director (President of Cox Industries)
- Stu Rodman, Vice Chairman (former Beaufort County school boardmember)
- Barry D. Wynn, Treasurer (President, Colonial Group)
- Ellen C. Weaver, President, CEO, and Director
- J. Gresham Barrett, Director (former U.S. Representative ranked as one of the most conservative members of Congress by the National Journal in 2009)
- Michael H. McBride, Director (Chairman, HMR Veterans Services, Inc.)
- Pat McKinney, Director (Owner, Kiawah Partners real estate firm)
- Dr. Oran Smith, formerly President, CEO, and Director (President, Palmetto Family Council)
- Tanis and Bill Bowles, Directors
Palmetto Promise Institute
1201 Lincoln Street, Ste. 301
Columbia, SC 29201
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
- State Policy Network:
- American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)
- Donors Capital Fund
- Koch Family Foundations
- Koch Industries
- Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity
- Heritage Foundation
- Think tanks
- Whitney Ball
- Adam Meyerson
- Bridgett Wagner
Related PRWatch Articles
- Brendan Fischer, Why Are the Franklin Center's "Wisconsin Reporter" and "Watchdog.org" Attacking the John Doe?, PRWatch.org, December 19, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, The State Policy Network's Cozy Relationship with Big Tobacco, PRWatch.org, December 16, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, Did ALEC Found SPN? 1991 Report Suggests So, Exposes SPN Agenda, PRWatch.org, December 12, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, Guardian Documents Expose State Policy Network Groups' Intent to Lobby, PRWatch.org, December 5, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, State Policy Network: The Stealth Network Dramatically Influencing State Law, PRWatch.org, December 5, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, Tracie Sharp: Bursar of Mystery Money and "IKEA Model" Materials to Stink Tanks, PRWatch.org, November 19, 2013.
- Center for Media and Democracy, Reports Expose Extreme Pressure Groups Masquerading as Think Tanks, press release, November 13, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, A Reporters’ Guide to the "State Policy Network": the Right-Wing Think Tanks Spinning Disinformation and Pushing the ALEC Agenda in the States, PRWatch.org, April 4, 2013.
- Sara Jerving, ALEC and Heartland Aim to Crush Renewable Energy Standards in the States, PRWatch.org, November 27, 2012.
- Connor Gibson, Meet the Network Hiding the Koch Money: "Donors Trust" and "Donors Capital Fund", PRWatch.org, October 29, 2012.
- Brendan Fischer, Koch-Funded Mackinac Center Brings Wisconsin Act 10 Provisions to ALEC, PRWatch.org, May 2, 2012.
- Sara Jerving, Franklin Center: Right-Wing Funds State News Source, PRWatch.org, October 31, 2011.
- Wall Street Journal, The Spoils of the Republican State Conquest, December 9, 2016, archived by CMD here.
- DeSmog Blog, Stink Tanks: Historical Records Reveal State Policy Network Was Created by ALEC, December 9, 2013.
- The Guardian, State conservative groups plan US-wide assault on education, health and tax, December 5, 2013.
- Portland Press Herald, "Washington County residents have mixed reactions to plan to eliminate taxes," December 5, 2013.
- The Texas Observer, "The Money Behind the Fight to Undermine Medicaid," December 5, 2013.
- Media Matters, North Carolina Newspapers Largely Ignore Conservative Funding Of Sham Think Tanks, December 3, 2013.
- Shepherd Express, Masters of Manipulation: Right-wing Billionaires, Corporations and the Bradley Foundation Pay for Junk Studies that Prop up Their Agenda, November 27, 2013.
- "Moyers & Company," How a Shadowy Network of Corporate Front Groups Distorts the Marketplace of Ideas, November 19, 2013.
- MSNBC "Rachel Maddow Show," November 18, 2013.
- Free Speech TV "Ring of Fire," Facebook, Microsoft, AT&T and Others Supporting Right Wing Propaganda Machine, November 18, 2013.
- Topeka Capital-Journal, Trabert dismisses report tying KPI to Koch agenda, November 16, 2013.
- The New Yorker (Jane Mayer), Is IKEA the New Model for the Conservative Movement?, November 15, 2013.
- Salon, Ted Cruz and Koch brothers embroiled in shadowy Tea Party scheme, November 15, 2013.
- St. Louis Business Journal, Beyond Sinquefield: Who else is funding the Show-Me Institute?, November 15, 2013.
- The Guardian, Facebook and Microsoft help fund rightwing lobby network, report finds, November 14, 2013.
- Huffington Post, Meet The Little-Known Network Pushing Ideas For Kochs, ALEC, November 14, 2013.
- CBS St. Louis, Show-Me Institute’s Ties Questioned in New Report, November 14, 2013.
- Talking Points Memo, Florida Conservative Group Helping Muck Up Obamacare In Alaska, November 14, 2013.
- Mint Press News, Reports Reveal SPN’s Secret Corporate Agenda Through Use ‘Expert’ Testimony, November 14, 2013.
- Media Matters, Shadowy Right-Wing Group Generates Media Coverage For Conservative Policy From Coast To Coast, November 14, 2013.
- The Institute for Southern Studies, Are conservative think tanks breaking lobbying laws?, November 14, 2013.
- Nonprofit Quarterly, Corporate Money in Network of Right-Wing State Policy Think Tanks, November 14, 2013.
- The Progressive, Right-Wing Think Tanks Push Privatization in the States, November 13, 2013.
- Politico, Report: Think tanks tied to Kochs, November 13, 2013.
- Lawrence Journal-World, Reports released by progressive groups are critical of Kansas Policy Institute, November 13, 2013.
- Maine Insights, Report: Maine Heritage Policy Center’s funding connection to Koch Brothers, November 13, 2013.
- The Florida Current, Liberal groups bemoan lobbying by conservative think tanks, November 13, 2013.
- The Oregonian, Cascade Policy Institute benefits from secretive donor group but says it operates independently, November 13, 2013.
- Center for Media and Democracy, EXPOSED: The State Policy Network, The Powerful Right-Wing Network Helping to Hijack State Politics and Government, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Arizona Working Families and CMD, A Reporter’s Guide to the Goldwater Institute: What Citizens, Policymakers, and Reporters Should Know, organizational report, updated November 13, 2013.
- Progress Florida and CMD, Lawmaking Under the Influence of Very Special Interests: Understand the role of Florida ‘think tanks’ in driving a Koch-fueled, ALEC-allied corporate agenda, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Maine's Majority Education Fund, Fooling Maine: How national conservative groups infiltrated Maine politics by founding and funding the Maine Heritage Policy Center, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Progress Michigan, Who's Running Michigan? The Far-Right Influence of the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Alliance for a Better Minnesota, Who's in Charge: How Nationalized Corporate-Run Think Tanks Influence Minnesota Politics, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Progress Missouri, What Missourians Need to Know About the Show-Me Institute, organizational report, updated November 13, 2013.
- Granite State Progress, Bad Bartlett: The Josiah Bartlett Center and NH Watchdog Answer the Call of the Koch Brothers, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- ProgressOhio, Smoke Screen: The Buckeye Institute, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Keystone Progress, Think tanks or corporate lobbyist propaganda mills?, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Progress Texas, TPPF + ALEC, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- One Wisconsin Now, S is for Shill: Inside the Bradley Foundation's Attack on Public Education, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Muncie Voice, Pence and Right-Wing Are Taking Over Public Education, November 13, 2013.
- The Spokesman-Review, Shawn Vestal: Idaho Freedom Foundation pushes limits of word ‘charity’, November 2, 2013.
- AZ Central, When this ‘watchdog’ pitches, taxpayers strike out, October 12, 2013.
- IndyStar, Daniels says speech to partisan group was a mistake, October 10, 2013.
- Muncie Voice, Indiana Policy Review: Not an Independent News Source, October 2, 2013.
- The Spokesman-Review, Idaho Freedom Foundation's charitable status scrutinized, September 15, 2013.
- CounterSpin, Lee Fang on 'The Right Leans In', April 5, 2013.
- FireDogLake, State Policy Network, an umbrella coordinating ALEC, Heritage, Heartland and others, April 4, 2013.
- Thom Hartmann with Lee Fang on MSNBC, The conservative State Policy Network is sneaking into your state & will change America, March 29, 2013.
- Current TV "War Room", Lee Fang discussing the State Policy Network, March 28, 2013.
- The Nation, The Right Leans In, March 26, 2013.
- Democracy Now, Donors Trust: Little-Known Group Helps Wealthy Backers Fund Right-Wing Agenda in Secret, February 19, 2013.
- Paul Abowd, Center for Public Integrity, Donors use charity to push free-market policies in states, Consider the Source, February 14, 2013.
- John R. Mashey, Fake science, fakexperts, funny finances, free of tax 2, DeSmog Blog report, updated October 23, 2012, p. 74.
- Urban Milwaukee, Stealth Conservatives, October 11, 2012.
- Rome News-Tribune, ANALYSIS: Georgia leaders depend on the same well for ideas, October 2012.
- Andy Kroll, The Right-Wing Network Behind the War on Unions, Mother Jones, April 25, 2011.
- Guidestar, State Policy Network, IRS filings and other organizational information about SPN.
- Center for Policy Alternatives, ALEC and the Extreme Right-Wing Agenda, organizational brochure about ALEC and SPN.
- John J. Miller, Fifty Flowers Bloom: Conservative think tanks — mini–Heritage Foundations — at the state level, National Review, November 19, 2007.
- Bridge Project, State Policy Network, online resource listing grants to SPN and SPN's connections to other groups.
- People for the American Way, State Policy Network, RightWingWatch.org, organizational resource.
- Greenpeace, Koch Industries Climate Denial Front Group: State Policy Network (SPN), organizational resource.
- Palmetto Fort Foundation, 2009 Form 990, annual organizational IRS filing, May 10, 2010.
- Palmetto Policy Forum, 2012 Form 990, annual organizational IRS filing, March 29, 2013.
- Former US Senator Jim DeMint Launches the “Palmetto Policy Forum," Crescent: The Magazine, February 5, 2013.
- DeMint Founding New South Carolina Think Tank, Associated Press, February 5, 2013.
- Jamie Self, Former Sen. Jim DeMint forms think tank in South Carolina, Charlotte Observer, February 6, 2013.
- Palmetto Policy Forum, History, organizational website, accessed November 2013.
- Palmetto Promise Institute, Form 990, annual organizational IRS filing, May 5, 2017.
- Palmetto Promise Institute, [paper copy 2015 Form 990], annual organizational IRS filing, May 11, 2016.
- Palmetto Promise Institute, 2014 Form 990, annual organizational IRS filing, August 13, 2015.
- Palmetto Promise Institute, 2013 Form 990, annual organizational IRS filing, May 13, 2014.
- Palmetto Fort Foundation, 2011 Form 990, annual organizational IRS filing, May 14, 2012.
- Palmetto Fort Foundation, 2010 Form 990, annual organizational IRS filing, May 6, 2011.
- Palmetto Policy Forum, Meet Our Team, organizational website, accessed January 2017.
- Palmetto Policy Forum, Board of Directors, organizational website, accessed January 2017.
- "House Ratings," National Journal, February 28, 2009.