Patuakhali power station (BCPCL)
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bangladesh and coal|
Patuakhali power station is a proposed 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plants in Patuakhali, Bangladesh. The project is part of the Kalapara power station (Phase I is referred to as the Payra power station).
A 1320MW coal-fired power station in Patuakhali has been proposed by three sets of sponsors, all JVs between Bangladeshi and Chinese firms:
- Patuakhali power station (BCPCL) - proposed by Bangladesh-China Power Company Limited (a JV between North-West Power Generation and China National Machinery Import and Export Corp)
- Patuakhali power station (Ashuganj) - proposed by Ashuganj Power and China Energy
- Patuakhali power station (RPCL/NORINCO) - proposed by Rural Power Company Limited (RPCL) and Norinco.
The map below shows the approximate location of Kalapara, Patuakhali, but not the exact location of the proposed power station.
On its website (2015), Bangladesh's North-West Power Generation described the Kalapara project as being set up in two phases. The first phase is referred to as the "Payra 1320 (2x660) MW Thermal Power Plant Project." The second phase is referred to as the "Barguna / Patuakhali 1320 (2x660) MW Ultra Supercritical Coal Based Thermal Power Plant Project (2nd Phase)." (Note that Patuakhali and Barguna are adjacent districts and Payra (Paira) is located in close proximity.)
In August 2016 the Bangladesh-China Power Company Limited (BCPCL), a 50:50 JV between North-West Power Generation and China National Machinery Import and Export Corp, said a deal had been signed with an EPC [engineering, procurement, and construction] contractor for the 1,320 MW Patuakhali coal plant, to be built near Payra. North-West Power Generation is held by the Bangladesh Power Development Board.
As of December 2017 the Payra power station is under construction and Northwest reports the co-feasibility study for Patuakhali is underway and land acquisition complete. It is planned for operation in 2021-2022. It would be funded by the China Exim Bank.
- Sponsor: Bangladesh-China Power Company Limited (BCPCL)
- Parent company: China National Machinery Import and Export Corp and North-West Power Generation Co (owned by Bangladesh Power Development Board)
- Location: Rabnabad river bank near Paira Bandar, Kalapara upazila (subdistrict), Dhankhali, Patuakhali district
- Coordinates: 21.986667, 90.241667 (approximate)
- Status: Pre-permit development
- Gross Capacity: 1320 MW (2 x 660 MW)
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Projected in service: 2021 (Unit 1), 2022 (Unit 2)
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: Export Import Bank of China
- Permits and applications:
Articles and resources
- "Faster Rampal plant execution demanded" bdnews24.com, October 13, 2013
- "Future Plan," North-West Power Generation Company Limited, accessed September 2015
- FHM Humayan Kabir, "1320mw coal-fired power plant to be set up in Patuakhali", Financial Express, June 29, 2014
- Aminur Rahman Rasel, "BCPCL plans another 1,320MW plant," Dhaka Tribune, Aug 18, 2016
- "PDB to become holding company, employees against the move", dhakatribune.com, Dhaka Tribune. Retrieved on 1 January 2018.
- "Future Projects," North-West Power Generation Company Limited, accessed December 2017