In January 2005, The Guardian reported that Ryan "claimed he had been made a scapegoat for the failure of the government's controversial [Foundation Trusts] policy." 
Peter Garland appears to be a long-standing advocate for NHS modernisation and Foundation Trusts. In April 2002 he gave a talk titled "Modernising Health and Social Care". In the overheads for the talk, Foundation Trusts were listed on a slide with the title "Diversity of providers, choice for consumers". The final slide stated: "In conclusion: Big money; Big changes; Big challenges. We mustn’t miss this opportunity." 
Garland's over-generous £60k pay package at Bradford
In April 2005 it was revealed that Garland was being paid £60,000 for his six month appointment at Bradford. NHS trust chairs work for three and a half days a week. Therefore, Garland's pay deal works out at £660 pounds a day, or assuming an eight hour working day, £82 pounds an hour. According to The Yorkshire Post, "Mr Garland's pay exceeds the highest threshold recommended by the NHS Appointments Commission for the chair of a large trust of just under £22,000. His equivalent salary is only just short of the £135,000-a-year pay package of the former chief executive of the trust David Jackson, who took early retirement last week." 
- 1999 to 2002: Regional Director for the NHS Executive’s Northern and Yorkshire Region .
- 2002 to 2003: NHS Director of Health and Social Care – North . Announced in September 2001 .
- June 2002: appointed a Companion of the Order of the Bath  .
- 2003 onwards: Director for Partnerships for Health on Local Improvement Finance Trusts in Leeds, Newcastle and Middlesborough .
- Since 2003: chaired an independent statutory inquiry into neonatal deaths and maternity services in Kidderminster .
- Dec 2004: appointed interim Chairman of Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust .
- Alan Milburn
- Alvarez and Marsal
- Bill Moyes
- Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Foundation Hospital Trusts
- Monitor - the Independent Regulator of NHS Foundation Trusts
- "Modernising Health and Social Care", overheads from a talk by Peter Garland at the Social Services North West Conference, April 26, 2002.
- Honours List, June 2002 (PDF), Downing St website. Accessed March 15, 2005.
- Patrick Butler, "DoH appoints team of 'troubleshooters'", The Guardian, September 21, 2001.
- "Order of the Bath", The Guardian, June 15, 2002.
- "Monitor appoints Peter Garland as interim Chairman of Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust", Monitor press release, December 14, 2004.
- Debbie Andalo, "Five foundation trusts 'face deficits'", The Guardian, January 20, 2005.
- Mike Waites, "Hospital stand-in chief on £60,000 payment", The Yorkshire Post, April 7, 2005.