Restoration of America
Restoration of America (formerly registered as Restoration Action) is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization founded in 2015 with the stated mission to "promote the common good and general welfare of the people of the United States by advocating in favor of policy changes with a goal of restoring individual peace, national security, and individual freedom in America". It was founded by Doug Truax, an unelected candidate in the 2014 Illinois U.S. Senate primary. Restoration Action's website boasts that Traux "nearly pulled off a massive upset" in that election, and that he "learned important lessons along the way. He formed Restoration Action/PAC with those lessons in mind." Restoration Action parents Restoration PAC. According to the website, Traux's "organizations exist solely to get things done in the fight to preserve our way of life."
The organization is a right-wing, Christian advocacy group. It believes that "in our current era, our nation's most significant threats are twofold: internally-- the elite, Marxist neo-liberals and, externally-- Communist China". They aim to "defend our nation by electing like-minded leaders and by creating organizations and campaigns that promote fully transparent elections, economic freedom, limited government, military superiority, secure borders, rule of law, and the sanctity of life".
- 1 News and Controversies
- 2 Funding
- 3 Core Financials
- 4 Personnel
- 5 Contact Information
- 6 Articles and Resources
- 7 References
News and Controversies
Restoration Action launches VoteRef
VoteRef, or "The Voter Reference Foundation" is a project of Restoration Action's that was incorporated in Ohio in May 2021 and is run by executive director Gina Swoboda. VoteRef compiles and publishes information about voters such as voting history and addresses to provide a tool for identifying discrepancies in voter rolls and cast ballots. Open Secrets reports that VoteRef intends to post the voter rolls for every state, despite the illegality of posting rolls on the internet and the voter identity theft it threatens.
Restoration Action hires election denier Gina Swoboda
Republican Gina Swoboda was hired in 2021 as Restoration Action's executive director, earning a $108,750 salary. Swoboda was an official for the Trump campaign, is vice chair of the Arizona Republican Party, and serves as the "election integrity" coordinator for GOP gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake. Swoboda is also spearheading the effort to combat the Arizona gubernatorial race, which Lake lost, on the grounds of a "broken election system".
Restoration Action sues former Trump administration official
March 2021, in the trademark infringement suit Restoration Action, Inc. v. Center for American Restoration, Inc et al, Restoration Action sought to prohibit former Trump official Russell Vought from launching his "Center for American Restoration". The organization is now called the Center for Renewing America.
Funding information for Restoration Action is not currently available.
- Total Revenue: $29,975,168
- Total Expenses: $29,017,851
- Net Assets: $5,682,988
- American Majority: $556,595
- American Majority Action: $1,385,276
- American Principles Project: $610,985
- Catholic Vote (Fidelis): $250,000
- Downers Grove Township Republicans: $1,500
- Fair Courts America: $43,963
- Fight Voter Fraud: $2,110,002
- Lawyers Democracy Fund: $1,430,000
- Liberty Initiative Fund: $1,173,335
- Patriotic Veterans: $474,500
- Pima County Republican Party: $10,000
- Restoration PAC: $976,945
- Susan B. Anthony List: $2,732,071
- Tea Party Patriots Action: $2,549,998
- Total Revenue: $20,512,077
- Total Expenses: $17,614,583
- Net Assets: $4,725,671
- Total Revenue: $10,405,875
- Total Expenses: $8,747,660
- Net Assets: $1,869,544
- Total Revenue: $64,426
- Total Expenses: $79,443
- Net Assets: $221,329
- Total Revenue: $201,958
- Total Expenses: $56,022
- Net Assets: $226,346
As of December 2022:
- Gerald Ewalt, Chief Marketing Officer
- Andrew Wynne, Chief Political Officer
- John Pearman, Executive Director
- Dan Curry, Chief Strategy Officer
- Michael Litwicki, Fundraising Director
- Janina Gewont, Director of Finance
- Gina Swoboda, Executive Director
- Christopher Litwicki, Fundraising Manager
- Christine Altenberger, Executive Director of FFROA
- Joseph Devillo Benson III, Director of Data Management
Board of Directors
As of December 2022:
- Tom Mallon, Chairman
- Doug Traux, CEO and President
- Sherry Gaskill, Treasurer
- David Langdon, Secretary
Employer Identification Number (EIN): 47-2862042
Restoration of America, Inc.
1901 Butterfield Road
Downers Grove, IL 60515
- Phone: 844-927-3786
- Website: https://www.restorationofamerica.com/
- Facebook: Restoration of America
- Twitter: @Restoration_roa
- Instagram: @restoration_pac
- YouTube: @restorationofamerica940
Articles and Resources
- Restoration Action, IRS 990 2021, Restoration Action, November 11, 2022.
- Restoration Action, About Doug Traux, Organizational Website, accessed January 9, 2023.
- Restoration Action, Careers, Organizational Website, accessed January 9, 2023.
- Anna Massoglia, Millions of dollars poured into a 'dark money' group tied to billionaire-backed super PAC and efforts to expose voter rolls, Open Secrets, March 10, 2022.
- Roger Sollenberger, Inside the Billionaire-Backed 'Hub for Election Denial', The Daily Beast, November 28, 2022.
- Law.com, Restoration Action, Inc. V. Center for American Restoration, Inc et al, Law.com, accessed January 9, 2023.
- Restoration of America, 2022 IRS 990 filing, Restoration of America, November 15, 2023.
- Restoration Action, IRS 990 2020, Restoration Action, November 11, 2021.
- Restoration Action, IRS 990 2019,Restoration Action, November 13, 2020.
- Restoration Action, IRS 990 2018, Restoration Action, November 14, 2019.