Rhode Island ALEC Politicians
Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
For a list of politicians with known ALEC ties, please see ALEC Politicians.
This is a partial list of Rhode Island politicians that are known to be involved in, or previously involved in, the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). It is a partial list. (If you have additional names, please add them with a citation. The names in this original list were verified as of posting.)
Legislators who have cut ties with ALEC publicly are also listed here.
Rhode Island Legislators with ALEC Ties
House of Representatives
- Rep. Robert Lancia (R-16), registered member
- Sen. Walter Felag (D-10), ALEC Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force Member - Felag told the Providence Journal through a spokesman on April 27, 2012 that he is "currently exploring how to terminate his membership in ALEC." See Legislators Who Have Cut Ties to ALEC for more.
- Sen. Paul Fogarty (D-23), ALEC Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force Member
- Sen. Leonidas Raptakis (D-33) ), ALEC Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force Alternate
- Sen. V. Susan Sosnowski (D-37), ALEC Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force Alternate
- Minority Leader of Rhode Island House of Representatives Patricia Morgan (R-26); State Chair
- House Speaker Gordon Fox attended an ALEC reception hosted by GTECH in April 2003, according to a Rhode Island Ethics Commission case
- Former Rep. Paul H. Archetto (R) currently sits on Cranston City Council.
- Former Rep. Jon D. Brien (D-50), former State Chairman of Rhode Island, was defeated by union firefighter Stephen Casey in a September 2012 Democratic Primary Election in Woonsocket.
- Rep. Laurence Ehrhardt (R-32), ALEC Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force Member
- Rep. Antonio Giarrusso (R-30)
- Sen. Leo Blais (R-21), former State Chairman
- Sen. Francis T. Maher, Jr. (R-34), ALEC State Chairman and Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force Alternate
- Sen. John J. Tassoni Jr. (D-Smithfield) - Tassoni told the Providence Journal on May 1, 2012, "I'm not sure how I became a member, but having learned recently about the enormous amount of corporate funding for the group and corporate influence on the group, I have decided to terminate my membership." See Legislators Who Have Cut Ties to ALEC for more.
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Directory – Full Name and Address, Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force Membership Directory, December 2010, obtained and released by Common Cause
- Philip Marcelo, R.I. Sen. Felag wants out of his ALEC membership, Providence Journal, April 27, 2012
- Leonidas Raptakis, PolitiFact.com, project of the St. Petersburg Times, accessed August 5, 2011
- Jamie Corey NEW ALEC MEMBERSHIP LIST NAMES MORE LEGISLATORS TIED TO THE GROUP Documented June 6, 2019
- State of Rhode Island, STATE OF RHODE ISLAND BEFORE THE RHODE ISLAND ETHICS COMMISSION In re: Gordon D. Fox Complaint Nos. 2003-6, 2003-7 INFORMAL RESOLUTION AND SETTLEMENT, Rhode Island Ethics Commission case, January 20, 2004.
- Ted Nesi, RI Senate passed resolutions backing ALEC; now Dems scurry, WPRI Eyewitness News, April 25, 2012.
- ALEC 1995 SB
- American Legislative Exchange Council, "Solutions for the States," 38th Annual Meeting agenda, on file with CMD, August 3-6, 2011
- American Legislative Exchange Council, "ALEC State Chairmen, organization website, accessed April 2012
- Rob Borkowski, Stephen Casey Thanks Voters, Friends, Family After Dist. 50 Primary Win, Woonsocket Patch, September 13, 2012
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Letter to Robert C. Byrd and Nancy Pelosi RE: Federal health reform efforts, June 24, 2009
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Letter to Senate Majority Leader Reid, RE: the EPA’s plan to regulate greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act, March 10, 2010
- American Legislative Exchange Council, "ALEC State Chairmen, organization website, accessed June 30, 2011. This website has been altered by ALEC and is no longer available.
- Philip Marcelo, Two R.I. state senators now want out of ALEC, Providence Journal, May 1, 2012