Robert W. Merry is a political and governmental journalist, political commentator, and author of several books covering American history and foreign policy, most recently President McKinley: Architect of the American Century. His work has been featured in The American Conservative, The National Interest, New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, and The Washington Times. He has appeared on numerous television programs, including NBC's Meet the Press, CBS’s Face the Nation, ABC’s Good Morning America, and CNN. Describing his political ideology, he claimed the foreign policy journal, The National Interest, "viewed the world through a prism of traditional conservatism, my own political outlook."
- B.A. in Journalism, University of Washington
- M.A., Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism
In 1987 Merry became managing editor of Congressional Quarterly, the Washington-based publishing company specializing in news and information on Congress, politics, and public policy. Between 1997 and 2009 he served as CQ’s president and editor-in-chief. He later served as editor of The National Interest, a magazine which challenges the "refusal to ponder the larger implications and consequences of the promiscuous use of American power abroad." In 2016, he became the editor of The American Conservative. As of November 2019, Merry has served on the board of The American Ideas Institute, the publication's nonprofit sponsor.
More detailed information available at:
- President McKinley: Architect of the American Century (September 2017, Simon & Schuster) ISBN 1451625448
- Where They Stand: The American Presidents in the Eyes of Voters and Historians (June 2012, Simon Schuster) ISBN 1451625405
- A Country of Vast Designs: James K. Polk, the Mexican War and the Conquest of the American Continent (November 2008, Simon Schuster) ISBN 0743297431
- Sands of Empire: Missionary Zeal, American Foreign Policy, and the Hazards of Global Ambition (May 2005, Simon Schuster) ISBN 0743266676
- Taking on the World: Joseph and Stewart Alsop, Guardians of the American Century (February 1996, Viking Adult) ISBN 0670838683
Robert W. Merry, publishing executive and author
4323 Clyde Road
Langley, WA 98260
- Robert W. Merry, About Me, personal website, accessed November 21, 2019.
- National Interest, About The National Interest, magazine website, accessed November 21, 2019.
- The American Conservative, About Us, magazine website, accessed November 21, 2019.
- Robert W. Merry, More Info, personal website, accessed November 21, 2019.