Route 2 Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy.|
The Route 3 Gas Pipeline, also known by its Portuguese names Gasoduto Rota 3 is a proposed natural gas pipeline off the Atlantic coast of southeastern Brazil.
The pipeline runs from the Lula oil and natural gas field off Brazil's southeastern coast to the Cabiúnas Gas Treatment Terminal in Macaé, Rio de Janeiro state.
- Operator: Petrobras
- Parent Company: Petrobras
- Current capacity: 4.75 billion cubic meters per year
- Proposed capacity:
- Length: 249 miles / 401 km
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2016
In February 2016, Petrobras announced completion of Brazil's longest submarine gas pipeline, known as Route 2. The 401-kilometer Route 2 pipeline can carry up to 4.75 billion cubic meters of natural gas annually from the rapidly developing Lula offshore gas fields to the Cabiúnas Gas Treatment Terminal in Macaé, Rio de Janeiro state. From Cabiúnas, the gas gets fed into Brazil's domestic natural gas distribution network. The Route 2 pipeline interconnects with Petrobras's Route 1 Gas Pipeline, which has been operating since 2011, bringing another 3.65 million cubic meters of natural gas annually from the Lula field to the Monteiro Lobato Gas Treatment Unit in Caraguatatuba, São Paulo state. The Lula field is located in the Santos basin, in a geological formation known as the 'pre-salt' layer, below 2126m (6975ft) of water and 2791m (9156ft) of soil, rock and salt.
Within nine months of its inauguration, the Rota 2 pipeline was already transporting 12 million cubic meters of natural gas per day, with a cumulative total of 2 billion cubic meters shipped as of November 15, 2016.
Cost of the project is listed as R$8.6 billion on Brazil's Ministry of Planning website.
The pipeline, operated by Petrobras, is 401 km (249 mi) long, with the capacity to carry 13 million cubic meters of natural gas per day, or 4.75 billion cubic meters per year.
Articles and resources
- "FPSO Cidade de Maricá goes into operation in the Santos Basin pre-salt cluster", Petrobras press release, February 18, 2016
- "The journey from Tupi to Lula", Offshore Engineer, May 1, 2017
- "Lula oil field", Wikipedia, accessed April 2018
- "Gasoduto Rota 2 que vai do pré-sal até Cabiúnas atingiu a marca 2 bi de m³ de GN", TN Petroleo, December 15, 2016
- "Gasoduto Pré-sal / Cabiunas (Rota 2) - RJ", Ministério do Planejamento website, accessed April 2018