Stand Together Trust
The Stand Together Trust, whose tax ID was formerly used by the Koch network's Seminar Network Trust and Concerned Veterans for America, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization led by Charles Koch, Chase Koch, Koch lieutenant Mark Holden, and other operatives of the Koch network. As of April 2020, the group has no web presence so very little is known of its current activities. According to Seminar Network Trust's most recent IRS filing, its mission is to "fund initiatives aimed at researching, analyzing, and publicizing across a range of broad social and economic issues affecting the nation and the well-being of every American."
Charles Koch is the right-wing billionaire owner of Koch Industries. As one of the richest people in the world, he is a key funder of the right-wing infrastructure, including the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the State Policy Network (SPN). In SourceWatch, key articles on Charles Koch and his late brother David include: Koch Brothers, Americans for Prosperity, Stand Together Chamber of Commerce, Stand Together, Koch Family Foundations, Koch Universities, and I360.
The Stand Together Trust is not required to disclose its funders. Its major foundation funders, however, can be found through a search of the IRS filings. Here are the know funders:
- Deason Foundation: $1,102,134 (2017-2018)
- DonorsTrust: $1,200,000 (2017-2018)
- Luddy Charitable Foundation: $250,000 (2017)
- Renker Family Foundation: $100,000 (2017)
- Total Revenue: $23,531,841
- Total Expenses: $45,591,475
- Net Assets: $84,327,658
- Americans for Prosperity Foundation: $12,775,573
- Arizona State University Foundation: $15,000
- Bill of Rights Institute: $350,000
- Cafe Momentum: $52,500
- Catholic University of America: $330,000
- Cause of Action Institute: $4,000,000
- Charles Koch Foundation: $850,000
- College of the Holy Cross: $400,000
- EdChoice: $882,500
- Emporia State University Foundation: $20,000
- Foundation for Individual Rights in Education: $770,000
- Fidelity Charitable: $15,000,000
- Greater Horizons: $1,000,000
- Iaclc: $280,000
- Institute for Humane Studies: $705,000
- Loras College: $250,000
- Mercatus Center: $158,500
- National Conference on Citizenship: $150,000
- North Park University: $35,000
- Santa Clara University: $875,000
- Schwab Charitable: $25,000
- Stand Together Foundation: $3,455,500
- Phoenix Multisport: $82,000
- Texas Public Policy Foundation: $500,000
- University of Kansas: $15,000
- University of Texas at Austin: $400,000
- Young Americans for Liberty Foundation: $575,000
- Youth Entrepreneurs: $1,570,000
- Total Revenue: $75,081,933
- Total Expenses: $6,551,900
- Net Assets: $100,907,071
- Americans for Prosperity Foundation: $2,670,000
- Bill of Rights Institute: $475,000
- Cause of Action Institute: $2,250,000
- Foundation for Individual Rights in Education: $250,000
- Rice University: $333,333
- Stand Together: $363,113
- Young Americans for Liberty Foundation: $200,000
- Total Revenue: $27,427,504
- Total Expenses: $8,100,150
- Net Assets: $32,550,323
- Americans for Prosperity Foundation: $750,000
- Arizona Education Project: $1,250,000
- Association of American Educators Foundation: $250,000
- Cafe Momentum: $30,000
- Capitol Preparatory Schools: $100,000
- Catholic University: $480,000
- Cause of Action Institute: $3,000,000
- EdChoice: $735,000
- Fidelity Charitable: $50,000
- Florida State University: $900,000
- Loras College: $86,000
- Stand Together: $402,040
- Young Americans for Liberty Foundation: $50,000
As of December 2019:
- Brian Menkes, President/Secretary
- Robert Heaton, Treasurer
Board of Directors
Seminar Network Trust
1320 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 500
Arlington, VA 22201
Articles and Resources
IRS Form 990 Filings
- Seminar Network Trust, 2018 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, November 15, 2019.
- Deason Foundation,Profile, Grantmakers, accessed March 30, 2020.
- David Armiak, DonorsTrust Bankrolled Right-Wing Judicial Appointments, Trump’s Acting AG, and Lobbying Front Groups in 2017, ExposedbyCMD, February 19, 2019.
- David Armiak, DonorsTrust Pumped $142 Million into Right-Wing Causes in 2018, ExposedbyCMD, December 23, 2019.
- Luddy Charitable Foundation,[on file with CMD], organizational filing.
- Renker Family Foundation,Profile, Grantmakers, accessed March 30, 2020.
- Seminar Network Trust, 2019 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, November 16, 2020.
- Seminar Network Trust, 2017 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, June 14, 2018.