"A group of Democratic strategists has tried to raise about $20 million for an October advertising blitz. The effort, called the September Fund, is being led by Harold Ickes, a former aide to President Clinton and an adviser to Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y.," Associated Press reporter Jim Kuhnhenn reported October 1, 2006. "In a letter circulated to potential donors this month, the organizers said: 'While we have achieved unprecedented unity, it is only meaningful if we can mobilize the power of progressive donors to ensure sufficient financial resources are available.'"
"Leaders of the September Fund include Karen Ackerman, the political director of the AFL-CIO; retired Gen. Wesley K. Clark, a 2004 Democratic presidential candidate; and Nick Baldick, who managed the presidential campaign of former Senator John Edwards," NewsMax reported September 14, 2006.
- Erik Smith, President
- Albert J. Dwoskin, Treasurer
- Gary Gruver, Assistant Treasurer; also contact person and custodian of records (IRS)
P.O. Box 34101
Washington, DC 20043
1133 Connecticut Avenue NW Suite 300
Washington, DC 20036
Related SourceWatch Resources
- John M. Broder, "Democrats Form New Group for Fund-Raising and Ads," New York Times, September 14, 2006.
- Steve Benen, "Midterm Madness," The Carpetbagger Report (The American Prospect), September 14, 2006.
- James L., "Ickes Launches New 527," Swing State Project, September 14, 2006.
- "Dem September Surprise? Hillary Clinton Advisor And Soros Confidant Harold Ickes Starts Liberal Shadow Group To Promote Left Wing Agenda," GOP.com, September 14, 2006.
- "Hillary Aide Starts Emergency Fund to Defeat GOP," NewsMax, September 14, 2006.
- "Shaming the Donors," The Hotline Blog/National Journal, September 14, 2006.
- Josh Gerstein, "Mystery Donor Funnels $250K To Edwards," The New York Sun, September 15, 2006.
- Jim Kuhnhenn, "Donors pumping millions to push voters. Observers question whether heavy spending by advocacy groups on ads will have a significant effect at the polls," Associated Press (ContraCostaTimes.com), October 1, 2006.
- Jeffrey H. Birnbaum and Zachary A. Goldfarb, "Outside Groups Shoveling Cash Into Tight Races," Washington Post, October 3, 2006.
- Joe Sudbay, "New ad from the September Fund," AMERICAblog, October 12, 2006. YouTube video.