Southern Cross Television
Southern Cross Television is the brand name for the television stations operated by Southern Cross Broadcasting in in Tasmania, Darwin, Central Australia and the Spencer Gulf Region of South Australia.
In its 2007 annual report, Southern Cross Broadcasting stated that "in Tasmania, Southern Cross Television remained the market leader during the year, dominating the ratings in all four‐week survey periods. The station’s mixture of programming from both the Seven and Ten Networks delivered constant hits throughout the year, including Border Security, Dancing With The Stars, House and AFL football. The station broadcasts the most watched news service in the State. Southern Cross Television is also the broadcaster of a number of successful local events, including the Hobart and Launceston Cups and the Targa Tasmania Rally. Southern Cross Broadcasting also has a 50% interest in Tasmanian Digital Television, providing a digital only service to the Hobart, Launceston and Devonport markets. The service broadcasts programs from Network Ten and expanded its viewing audience during the year with the steady uptake of digital television in Tasmania."
On its website, SCT states that "the Tasmanian television advertising market is worth approximately $45 million annually, reaching more than 400,000 people. Southern Cross Television has program affiliations with both the Seven and Ten networks, enabling it to develop a unique mix of programming tailored for the local market. Southern Cross Television broadcasts to the entire State and is clearly the market leader, winning all survey weeks during the year. Led by Southern Cross Nightly News, Southern Cross Television is the people’s choice in Tasmania. Consistent ratings above 54% ensured an improved revenue market share."
Community Assist Program with Forestry Tasmania
The Community Assist Program has been described as "joint venture between Forestry Tasmania and Southern Cross Television" which was founded by them "because both companies are committed to the concept of Corporate Social Responsibility, which means we accept our obligation to contribute to the overall well-being of our community." Forestry Tasmania describe it as "a program to help individuals and organisations who work hard to make their communities better places to live."
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Southern Cross Broadcasting, "Review of Operations", 2007 Annual Report, page 6.
- Macquarie Media Group, "Macquarie Media Group and Fairfax Media Announcement", Media Release, July 2, 2007.
- "Southern Cross Broadcasting sold for $1.35b", ABC, July 3, 2007.
- "Completion of Southern Cross Broadcasting Acquisition", Media Release, November 6, 2007.
- Southern Cross Broadcasting, "Southern Cross Television", Southern Cross Broadcasting website, accessed May 2009.
- Forestry Tasmania, "Community Assist Program", Forestry Tasmania website, accessed May 2009.
- Forestry Tasmania, "Community Assist Program 2007/08 now closed", Forestry Tasmania, accessed May 2009.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|