Steve Bruce "has been Professor of Sociology at the University of Aberdeen since 1991. He was born in Edinburgh in 1954 and schooled at the Queen Victoria School Dunblane, Perthshire. He studied sociology and religious studies at the University of Stirling (MA 1976; PhD 1980) and taught at The Queen’s University, Belfast, from 1978 to 1991.
"He was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 2003 and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 2005.
"He has written extensively on the nature of religion in the modern world and on the links between religion and politics.
"His most recent work, 'Paisley: religion and politics in Northern Ireland', will be published by Oxford University Press in 2007 and he is currently preparing a second edition of his Fundamentalism for Polity." 
- Paisley: Religion and Politics in Northern Ireland (Oxfod : Oxford University Press, 2007).
- (with Steven Yearley) The Sage Dictionary of Sociology (London : Sage, 2006).
- (with I. Paterson, M. Rosie, T. Glendinning ) Sectarianism in Scotland (Edinburgh : Edinburgh University Press, 2004).
- Politics and Religion (Oxford : Polity Press, 2003).
- God is Dead: secularization in the West (Oxford : Blackwell, 2002).
- Fundamentalism (Oxford : Polity Press, 2001).
- Sociology: a very short introduction (Oxford : Oxford University Press, 1999).
- Choice and Religion: a critique of rational choice theory (Oxford : Oxford University Press, 1999).
- Conservative Protestant Politics (Oxford : Oxford University Press, 1998).
- Religion in the Modern World : from cathedrals to cults (Oxford : Oxford University Press, 1996).
- Religion in Modern Britain (Oxford : Oxford University Press, 1995).
- The Edge of the Union: The Ulster Loyalist Political Vision (Oxford : Oxford University Press, 1994).
- The Red Hand: loyalist paramilitaries in Northern Ireland (Oxford : Oxford University Press, 1992).
- A House Divided: Protestantism, schism and secularization (London : Routledge, 1990).
- Pray TV: televangelism in America (London : Routledge, 1990).
- The Rise and Fall of the New Christian Right: Protestant politics in America 1978-88 (Oxford : Clarendon Press, 1988).
- God save Ulster! The religion and politics of Paisleyism (Oxford : Clarendon Press, 1986).
- No Pope of Rome: militant Protestantism in modern Scotland (Edinburgh : Mainstream, 1985).
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Steve Bruce, Aberdeen University, accessed March 10, 2009.