|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Susan Sarandon is a movie actress who has appeared in several films that have given deliberate exposure to branded tobacco products. A 1981 memo from Associated Film Productions to Mr. E. Ted Parrack, Jr. of Brand Management at Brown & Williamson indicates a pay-for-placement scheme occurred in a movie starring Sarandon called "The Tempest." Parrack wrote,
The two principal characters [in the movie] will both use Barclays cigarettes in such a way that the packages will be readily identified by movie-goers, as well as future cable television, video cassette, video disc, and network viewers. The total investment to Brown & Williamson for the above service is seventy-thousand dollars ($70,000.00), payable upon the commencement of production of The Temptest.
While Sarandon starred in "The Tempest," apparently she was not one of the characters use used nicotine. 
In 1988, Sarandon appeared in the film "Bull Durham," about a minor league baseball team. At the local Durham stadium in the movie, there is a sign displayed in the outfield advertising "Lucky Strike Lights." In 1991, Sarandon starred with Geena Davis in the film "Thelma and Louise," about two adventurous women to take a road trip together. While a character in the movie waits for Louise to call him, he smokes Lucky Strike cigarettes.
- Director, Amazon Conservation Team 
- Advisory Committee, FilmAid International
- Advisory Board, Yele Haiti 
- Advisory Board, RefugePoint 
- Advisory Board, Creative Coalition 
- Former President, MADRE
- Liberty Hill Foundation
Resources and articles
- Robert H. Kovoloff, Associated Film Promotions Placement of Barclay billboards in The Tempest Letter. August 4, 1981. University of California Brown & Williamson (UCSF B&W) Collection Bates No. 2400.16
- Gary Mezzatesta, UPP Result in "Bull Durham" Memorandum/correspondence. June 20, 1988. American Tobacco Bates No. 970311978
- Gary Mezzatesta, UPP Feature Memorandum Memorandum/Correspondence. February 8, 1991. American Tobacco Bates No. 970196146
- Directors, Amazon Conservation Team, accessed December 9, 2007.
- Advisory Board, Yele Haiti, accessed April 19, 2009.
- RefugePoint People, organizational web page, accessed May 26, 2013.
- Advisory Board, The Creative Coalition, accessed November 29, 2011.
- Mohammed Khatib and Sharif Omar, "Two Palestinian Villages Ask Susan Sarandon to Repudiate Leviev over Israeli Settlements", Znet, (An Open Letter), December 26, 2007.
- Steven Novella, "Lorenzo’s Oil", Science-based Medicine, October 30, 2013. (Review of film she stars in)
<tdo>resource_id=23934 resource_code=sarandon_susan search_term="Susan Sarandon"</tdo>