Swift Boat Veterans for Truth/Articles
The following is an extensive list of articles, many of which are cited on the article page of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.
- Dylan Otto Krider, Whoslying.org (series of articles disputing SBVT claims).
- Joe Klein, "The Long War of John Kerry," The New Yorker, January 5, 2004.
- Thomas Lang, "Lost in the Fog of War Records," Campaign Desk, April 21, 2004.
- Marc Morano, "Kerry 'Unfit to be Commander-in-Chief,' Say Former Military Colleagues," Media Research Center's Cybercast News Service, May 3, 2004.
- "'We Know the Truth'. Some of Kerry's Vietnam colleagues challenge the Democratic candidate," National Review, May 4, 2004, Letter by SBVT to John Kerry. (The letter is signed by Rear Admiral Roy Hoffmann, USN, Captain Charley Plumly, USN (ret), Mr. Alvin A. (Andy) Horne, Mr. Bill Lannom, Mr. John O'Neill, Mr. Wey Symmes, and Mr. William W. Franke.) Note: It is most likely that the correct name is William Edward Franke. See Franke's file for details.
- Joe Conason, "Smear Boat Veterans for Bush," Salon, May 4, 2004: "The 'swift boat' veterans attacking John Kerry's war record are led by veteran right-wing operatives using the same vicious techniques they used against John McCain four years ago."
- "Who is John O'Neill? CNN's Blitzer failed to probe partisan ties of Kerry critic," Media Matters for America, May 4, 2004.
- John E. O'Neill, "Unfit for Office. I was on Mr. Kerry's boat in Vietnam. He doesn't deserve to be commander in chief," Wall Street Journal, May 4, 2004. Also see Thomas Lang, "Ambush by Pull-Quote," Campaign Desk, May 4, 2004.
- Glen Johnson and Michael Kranish, "$25m ad campaign showcases Kerry's career. Veterans group says he's unfit," Boston Globe, May 4, 2004.
- Richard Tompkins, "Vietnam vets slam Kerry," UPI, May 4, 2004.
- "Swift Boat Veterans Condemn Kerry As Unfit To Command," Newsmax, May 4, 2004.
- Nicole Casta, "Who is John O'Neill?", Media Matters for America, May 4, 2004.
- Bob Somerby, "Kerry’s accuser remembered it wrong. But so what?," The Daily Howler, May 5, 2004.
- Michael Kranish, "Kerry's commanders speak out against him. Staff says assault is tied to GOP," Boston Globe, May 5, 2004.
- Michael Kranish, "Former sailor is drawn into battle. Archfoe reemerges to condemn Kerry," Boston Globe, May 5, 2004.
- Matt Gunn, "Swift Boat Veterans for a Big Lie" and "Swift Boat Followup," mattgunn.com, May 5 and May 6, 2004.
- Suzanne Goldenberg, "Kerry's Vietnam comrades join forces to tarnish war hero image," Guardian Unlimited (UK), May 6, 2004.
- Joe Conason, "The Vietnam investor behind the "Swift Boat Vets" attack," Salon, May 14, 2004.
- "Bush lauded by Medal of Honor winners,", The Washington Times, July 17, 2004.
- David Paul Kuhn, "Kerry and the Vets", CBS News, July 26, 2004.
- Gregg Zoroya, "Vietnam crewmates steady at Kerry's side", USA Today, July 28, 2004.
- John Gonzalez, "Fog of War. A group of veterans says John Kerry stretches the truth about his Vietnam service. Who can you believe? Who knows?" Dallas Observer, July 29, 2004.
- Bennet Roth, "Fellow veterans go to battle for Kerry", Houston Chronicle, July 30, 2004.
- Jodi Wilgoren, "Vietnam Veterans Buy Ads to Attack Kerry," New York Times, August 5, 2004.
- Ron Fournier, "McCain condemns anti-Kerry ads, calls on White House to follow suit," Associated Press, August 5, 2004.
- "Texan, GOP donor helps finance anti-Kerry veterans group: Homebuilder has contributed to Bush campaign," CNN, August 6, 2004.
- Michael Kranish, "Veteran retracts (part of) criticism of Kerry," Boston Globe, August 6, 2004.
- "Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record. Ad features vets who claim Kerry 'lied' to get Vietnam medals. But other witnesses disagree -- and so do Navy records," FactCheck.org, August 6, 2004; modified August 22, 2004.
- "The media are covering the DNC's attack on the Swift Boat Vets ad," The Donovan, August 6, 2004. Includes material on SBVT affidavits.
- "Swift Boat Veterans for 'Truth' v. The Truth," eRiposte, August 9, 2004.
- Century 21, "Campaign Finance Groups File FEC Complaint Charging 'Swift Boat Veterans for Truth' Is Violating Federal Campaign Finance Laws," Common Dreams, August 10, 2004.
- Democracy 21, Campaign Legal Center, Center for Responsive Politics, "Complaint to federal Election Commission against Swift Boat Veterans for Truth,", August 10, 2004.
- Jennifer Kerr, "Co-author of book apologizes for anti-Catholic, anti-Muslim comments," Associated Press (San Francisco Chronicle), August 10, 2004.
- Sharon Theimer, "Swift Boat Veterans' anti-Kerry ad prompts watchdog complaints," Associated Press (Lexington Herald Leader), August 11, 2004.
- John Gonzalez, "Swift Boat Folks Are Kerry's Nemeses of Old," Dallas Observer, August 11, 2004.
- "New revelations on Ted Sampley of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth," The Peking Duck, August 11, 2004. re Ted Sampley
- Howard Kurtz, "MoveOn.org's Swift Response to Anti-Kerry Ad," Washington Post, August 17, 2004. "'George Bush: Take that ad off the air,' says the 30-second spot from MoveOn.org PAC. The ad in question, from a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, charges Kerry with 'lying about his first Purple Heart' in Vietnam 35 years ago," the Kurtz writes.
- Michael Dobbs, "Records Counter a Critic of Kerry: Fellow Skipper's Citation Refers To Enemy Fire," Washington Post, August 19, 2004.
- Interview: "John O'Neill's story shows some holes," PBS Online NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, August 19, 2004. (An interview with John O'Neill).
- Carol Giacomo, "Bush Uses Surrogates for 'Dirty Work,' Kerry Says", Reuters, August 19, 2004.
- Tyler Whitley, "Anti-Kerry group has local ties", Richmond Times-Dispatch, August 19, 2004.
- Editorial: "War Stories Collide As Kerry’s Vietnam Medals Come Under Fire," Cleveland Plain Dealer (History News Network), August 19, 2004.
- "Swiftboat attacks falling apart at the seams," The Carpetbagger Report, August 19, 2004.
- "Update: Navy Records Contradict Kerry Accuser; Citation Says Accuser Also Was Under Enemy Fire," FactCheck.org, August 19, 2004.
- "MMFA takes the lead in exposing Swift Boat Vets' smear," Media Matters for America, August 20, 2004.
- Please note that MMFA's claim is inaccurate, as SourceWatch, then called the Disinfopedia, has been on the SBVFT case since the afternoon of May 4, 2004, following the SBVFT National Press Club news release.
- Kate Zernike and Jim Rutenberg, "Friendly Fire: The Birth of an Anti-Kerry Ad," New York Times, August 20, 2004.
- "The Times Attacks the Swift Vets," Times Watch, August 20, 2004.
- Jodi Wilgoren, "Kerry Calls Ad Group a 'Front for the Bush'", New York Times, August 20, 2004.
- Eleanor Clift, "Fighting a Phony War: Is the real aim of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth to divert attention from Iraq?", Newsweek, August 20, 2004.
- "Swift boat group launches new anti-Kerry ad: Survey finds earlier spot reaching wide audience", CNN, August 20, 2004.
- William B. Rood, "Feb. 28, 1969: On the Dong Cung River: `This is what I saw that day', Chicago Tribune, August 21, 2004.
- "Boat Commander Backs Kerry on Attacks Over Vietnam Record", Bloomberg News, August 21, 2004.
- Matthew Hoye and Phil Hirshkorn, "Bush adviser quits after appearing in swift boat ad: Kerry has accused group of illegally working with campaign", CNN, August 23, 2004.
- David Corn, "Evidence Undermines Attack," The Nation, August 23, 2004.
- Joe Strupp, "Campaign Journalists: Has Swift Boat Story Gone on Too Long?", Editor and Publisher, August 24, 2004.
- Jeremy Pelofsky, "Bush Supporter Leaves Campaign over Role in Ad," Reuters, August 24, 2004
- "Swift Boat Veteran Group Says Bush Lawyer Gave Advice, Bloomberg News, August 24, 2004.
- Elisabeth Bumiller and Kate Zernike, "President Urges Outside Groups To Halt All Ads, New York Times, August 24, 2004.
- Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, News Release: "CREW FOIAs White House Contacts with Swift Boat Veterans Group," U.S. Newswire, August 24, 2004.
- Zachary Coile and Marc Sandalow, "Observers see eerie parallels in attacks on Kerry, McCain: As in 2000 campaign, Bush attempts to distance himself from hits against rival," San Francisco Chronicle, August 24, 2004.
- Jim Rutenberg and Kate Zernike, "Bush Campaign's Top Outside Lawyer Advised Veterans Group," New York Times, August 25, 2004.
- "Lawmakers to Bush: Condemn Kerry attack ads: Cleland to deliver letter to Bush ranch in Crawford, Texas," CNN, August 25, 2004.
- Cleland unable to deliver letter to Bush, San Francisco Chronicle, August 25, 2004.
- "Bush lawyer resigns over 'Kerry lies'", ITV, August 25, 2004.
- "Bush-Cheney lawyer resigns over veterans flap: Ginsberg: 'Stunning double standard' in 527 media coverage,' CNN, August 25, 2004.
- Bill Garret, "Swift Boat Veterans and Mekong River Dragons", Washington Post, August 25, 2004.
- Kerry-Edwards 2004, News Release: "Kerry Campaign Asks Bush-Cheney to Explain 'Web of Connections'," U.S. Newswire, August 26, 2004.
- Jennifer C. Kerr, "Swift Boat Author Addresses Contradiction," Guardian Unlimited (UK), August 26, 2004.
- Dick Meyer, "Dirty Tricks, Patrician Style," CBS News, August 26, 2004.
- "As evidence mounts of GOP connection to anti-Kerry Swift Boat Vets, Hume and Dole deny the obvious," Media Matters for America, August 26, 2004.
- Joseph B. Frazier, "Swift boat crewman backs Kerry version," Associated Press (Seattle Times), August 27, 2004.
- James Rainey and Michael Finnegan, "More Bow Shots Fly in Swift Boat Controversy", Los Angeles Times, August 27, 2004.
- Joe Conason, Opinion: "Sailing buddies. A flotilla of new reports shows that the Swift Boat Veterans group is helmed by longtime cronies of the Bush family," Salon, August 28, 2004.
- Thomas Lipscomb, "citation a 'total mystery' to ex-Navy chief", Chicago Sun-Times, August 28, 2004.
- Jacques Steinberg, "Columnist Has Ties to Anti-Kerry Book", New York Times, August 30, 2004.
- "Novak's son handles PR for Swift Boat publisher", O'Dwyers PR Daily, August 30, 2004.(Sub req'd).
- Linda Halstead-Acharya, "Columbus swift boat vet angry about letter", Billings Gazette, September 1, 2004.
- Eric Rasmussen, "Truth and Unfit for Command: A Review." First published September 4, 2004. Includes U.S. Navy documents not available elsewhere.
- Tom Infield and Meg Laughlin, "Swift boat group has morphed into a political machine. The anti-John Kerry veterans have raised millions and used a network of GOP-affiliated consultants," Philadelphia Inquirer, September 12, 2004.
- Peter Savodnik, "Swift boat group weighs next step: Anti-Kerry vets consider becoming veteran advocates," The Hill, November 24, 2004.
- Bill Lambrecht, "Anti-Kerry group meets to decide on future role," St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Seattle Times), December 19, 2004.
- Jim Shultze, "Fifteen Stooges. The Dallas City Council does a comedy campaign for its critics," Dallas Observer, December 23, 2004.
- "Republican Swift Boat Veterans Not too Swift!" (Last updated January 5, 2005).
- Robert Wilonsky, "Bubble Brains. Think a strong mayor is a good idea? See who agrees with you," Dallas Observer, January 13, 2005.
- Albert L. May, "Swift Boat Vets in 2004: Press Coverage of an Independent Campaign," George Washington University, December 5, 2005 (revised).
- Kate Zirnike, "Kerry Pressing Swift Boat Case Long After Loss," New York Times, May 28, 2006.
- Maryclaire Dale, "Judge Dismisses Suit Against Sen. Kerry," Associated Press (ABC News), August 4, 2006.
- Pamela Leavey, "Case Dismissed: Judge Dismisses Entire Sherwood vs. Kerry, 'Stolen Honor' Lawsuit," The Democratic Daily Blog, August 4, 2006.
- Clyde, "The Swiftboat Vets get sunk in court ruling. Case Dismissed: Judge Dismisses Entire Sherwood vs. Kerry, 'Stolen Honor' Lawsuit," Dubya40.com, August 5, 2006.
- Bob Geiger, "On Team Bush, Scumbags Become Ambassadors," BobGeiger Blogspot, February 27, 2007. re Sam Fox
- Nicolle Bell, "Bush Nominates Swift Boat Veterans Donor to Ambassadorship," Crooks and Liars, February 27, 2007.
- SilentPatriot, "Senator Kerry Confronts Swift Boat Funder," Crooks and Liars, February 28, 2007.
- Gary Jacobson, "Swift Boat moneymen still trying to shape public policy," Muckety.com, July 17, 2008.
SourceWatch articles on SBVT
Due to the length of the original article, several sections of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth page have been moved to separate pages. These are:
- Complaint against SBVT filed with the FEC
- SBVT Members
- SBVT Funding
- SBVT Researchers
- Personal Expressions