"When it was founded by Dan Wolf, Ed Fancher and Norman Mailer in October of 1955, the Village Voice introduced free-form, high-spirited and passionate journalism into the public discourse. As the nation's first and largest alternative newsweekly, the Voice maintains the same tradition of no-holds-barred reporting and criticism it first embraced when it began publishing fifty years ago.
"The recipient of three Pulitzer prizes, the National Press Foundation Award and the George Polk Award, the Voice has earned a reputation for its groundbreaking investigations of New York City politics, and as the premier expert on New York's cultural scene." 
According to Bob Feldman, "In February 1976, then-Voice editor Tom Morgan chose to publish a previously-classified copy of a House Committee Report On The CIA—the Pike Report—which had been leaked to the Voice by then-CBS News correspondent Daniel Schorr (who later in the 20th century became a reporter for NPR). But then-U.S. Vice-President Nelson Rockefeller’s son-in-law, Morgan, shortly afterwards decided to resign as Voice editor in September 1976. So Felker next brought in a then-Rolling Stone magazine editor from the outside, Marianne Partridge, to manage his stable of Voice writers." 
Accessed November 2008: 
- Editor in Chief Tony Ortega
- Senior Editor Ward Harkavy
- Arts and Culture Editor Brian Parks
- Film Editor Allison Benedikt
- Music Editor Rob Harvilla
- Copy Chief Shazdeh Omari
- Senior Associate Editors Angela Ashman, Zach Baron, Araceli Cruz, Kandia Crazy Horse, Eudie Pak
- Staff Writers Wayne Barrett, Sarah DiGregorio, Camille Dodero, Michael Feingold, Nat Hentoff, Chloé A. Hilliard, J. Hoberman, Michael Musto, Graham Rayman, Roy Edroso, Tom Robbins, Lynn Yaeger
- Contributors Allen Barra, Leslie Camhi, Francis Davis, Annie Fischer, Deborah Jowitt, Robert Sietsema, Alexis Soloski
- Editorial Fellows Elizabeth Dwoskin, Fred McKindra
- Editorial Interns Anu Barbu, Beethoven Bong, Sara Dover, Katie Drummond, Jana Kasperkevic, Sarah Lavery, Ryan McLendon, Vivekenanda Nemana, Patrick B. Anderson
- Associate Editor Sharyn Jackson
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- About, Village Voice, accessed November 11, 2008.
- The `Village Voice' Alternative Media Monopoly's Hidden History--Part 11, Bob Feldman Blog, accessed November 11, 2008.
- Staff, Village Voice, accessed November 11, 2008.