WeCare Organics LLC
WeCare Organics LLC was founded in 1999 "to market a variety of biosolids-based products and services to agricultural and horticultural customers in the region" of its Jordan, NY headquarters. "Biosolids" refers to sewage sludge, which is specifically prohibited from use in organic agriculture, based on USDA certification standards. Despite this fact, WeCare Organics markets its sewage sludge-based products as "sustainable." The WeCare Organics headquarters is a renovated farmhouse, located on a 350+ acre working farm, a detail that no doubt adds to its greenwashed "organic" image. WeCare Organics LLC also manages Earth Blends Inc.. The company is a member of the U.S. Composting Council, Water Environment Federation, New England Water Environment Association, Pennsylvania Water Environment Association, New York Nursery and Landscape Association, Massachusetts Nurserymen's Association, New York Turfgrass Association, and the Farm Bureau.
WeCare markets a number of products containing sewage sludge, including:
Related SourceWatch articles
- Sewage sludge
- Food Rights Network
- Sewage sludge giveaways, producers, and brands
- The EPA's plan to bypass opposition to sewage sludge disposal
- Water Environment Federation
- You say biosolids, I say sewage sludge
- Marie Kulick, Smart Guide on Sludge Use and Food Production, Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, 2008.
- Targeted National Sewage Sludge Survey: EPA-822-R-08-016 and EPA-822-R-08-018, EPA, January 2009.
- Environmental Working Group, Dumping Sewage Sludge On Organic Farms? Why USDA Should Just Say No, April, 1998.
- Environmental Working Group, Routes of Exposure sewage sludge: EWG Research on Chemicals in sewage sludge, April 30, 1998.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|