William P. Weidner
William P. Weidner is President, Chief Operating Officer, and a Director at Las Vegas Sands Corporation, a Las Vegas, Nevada, resort and casino. He has served as an officer and a director since 2004.
Weidner is one of several prominent conservatives funding Freedom's Watch, a new White House front group which began "a multimillion-dollar advertising campaign to urge members of Congress who may be wavering in their support for the war in Iraq not to 'cut and run'."
For the 2006 congressional elections, Weidner donated $25,000 to the Republican National Committee.
On August 17, 2007, the Associated Press reported that Weidner said that Sheldon Adelson, another Freedom's Watch supporter, had been lobbying local officials "to legalize casino gambling" in Massachusetts.
Weidner "has been the President and Chief Operating Officer of the Company's wholly owned operating subsidiary, Las Vegas Sands, LLC (formerly known as Las Vegas Sands, Inc.), since December 1995 and a director of Las Vegas Sands, LLC since August 2004. From 1985 to 1995, Mr. Weidner was President and Chief Operating Officer and served on the board of Pratt Hotel Corporation. From February 1991 to December 1995, Mr. Weidner was also the President of Pratt's Hollywood Casino-Aurora subsidiary and from June 1992 until December 1995, he served on the board of the Hollywood Casino Corporation. Since September 1993, Mr. Weidner has served on the board of directors of Shorewood Packaging Corporation. Mr. Weidner directed the opening of Hollywood Casino, one of Chicago's first riverboat casino hotels, New York City's Maxim's de Paris (now the Peninsula), and hotels in Orlando and Palm Springs."
"Weidner entered the industry after graduating from Michigan State University with an M.B.A. and serving as Assistant Professor of Business Administration and Hotel Management at Paul Smith's College. He then spent eight years in various positions with the Marriott Hotel Group, receiving its prestigious 'Man of the Year' award in 1975."
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Profile: William P. Weidner, Forbes.com, accessed August 22, 2007.
- ↑ "Adelson runs attack ads against Porter," Las Vegas Gleaner, August 22, 2007.
- ↑ "Group to Urge War Support," New York Times, August 22, 2007.
- ↑ Greg Giroux, "RNC Money Flowing to Key Races in Battle for Congress," CQPolitics.com (New York Times), October 23, 2006.
- ↑ "Billionaire Adelson lobbying for Massachusetts casino," Associated Press (WHDH.com Boston), August 17, 2007.
- ↑ Corporate Biography: William P. Weidner, President and Chief Operating Officer, Las Vegas Sands Corp.
- Mike Allen, "Pro-Bush group spends $15M defending war," The Politico (posted by Free Republic), August 22, 2007.
- Donors: President George W. Bush Inauguration 2001, OpenSecrets.org, updated January 25, 2001. Weidner donated $100,000.