Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
Amazon (Amazon.com, Inc.) is an online trading company that was founded in July 1995 by its CEO, Jeff Bezos. The website started as an online bookstore but quickly became the world's largest online "anything store". Besides offering millions of books, music, and DVD's, it also sells electronics, clothing, prescription drugs, and auto parts. The company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington. In May 1997 the company was floated on the stock exchange. (Its Nasdaq symbol is AMZN.)
Support for the American Legislative Exchange Council
Amazon was a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) as of 2011. A spokesperson announced at a shareholder meeting on May 24, 2012 that it had decided not to renew its membership in ALEC in 2012. Amazon had been a member of ALEC's Communications and Technology Task Force in 2011. In August 2011, Amazon was a "Director" level sponsor of ALEC's 38th Annual Conference ($10,000 in 2010). Furthermore, Braden Cox, Amazon's Director of U.S. State Public Policy, was a featured speaker at the 2011 ALEC Annual Meeting at a Workshop titled, "Exploring ALEC Positions on E-Commerce and E-Taxes."
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
- Jeffrey Bezos - Chairman of the Board, President, CEO & Founder
- Jeffrey Blackburn - SVP, Business Development
- Andrew Jassy - SVP Web Services
- Steven Kessel - SVP Worldwide Digital Media
- Marc Onetto - SVP, Worldwide Operations
- Diego Piacentini - SVP, International Retail
- Thomas Szkutak - SVP and CFO
- H. Brian Valentine - SVP, Ecommerce Platform
- Jeffrey Wilke - SVP, North America Retail
- L. Michelle Wilson - SVP, General Counsel, Secretary
- Tom Alberg - Managing Director, Madrona Ventures Group
- [[John Seely Brown - Visiting Scholar and Advisor to the Provost at USC
- William B. Gordon - Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
- Myrtle S. Potter - CEO Chapman Properties
- Thomas O. Ryder - Former Chairman and CEO, Reader's Digest Association, Inc.
- Patricia Q. Stonesifer - CEO, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Former Members 
- Richard Dalzell - Former SVP and CIO
- Mark Peek - Former SVP and CAO
- L. John Doerr - General Partner, Kleiner Perkins and Caufiled
1200 12th Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98144
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Amazon, "FAQs", accessed December 2007.
- Amazon.com Profile, Hoovers, accessed December 2007.
- Jeffrey Bezos, Forbes, accessed December 2007.
- Rebekah Wilce, Amazon.com 16th Corporation to Dump ALEC, PRWatch.org, May 24, 2012
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Telecommunications & Information Technology Task Force Meeting, ALEC’s 2011 Spring Task Force Summit, April 30, 2011, Meeting DRAFT Minutes, organizational meeting minutes, July 18, 2011, documents obtained and released by Common Cause, April 2012
- American Legislative Exchange Council, 2011 Conference Sponsors, conference brochure on file with CMD, August 4, 2011
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Sponsorship Opportunities at ALEC's Annual Meeting, organizational website, 2010, accessed August 4, 2011
- [http://www.linkedin.com/pub/braden-cox/0/33a/790 Braden Cox." LinkedIn Profile. LinkedIn.com. Accessed Aug. 12, 2011.
- [American Legislative Exchange Council, 2011 Conference Workshops, conference brochure on file with CMD, August 11, 2011]
- 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed December 2007.
- Amazon lobbying expenses, Open Secrets, accessed December 2007.
- Amazon.com Investor Relations: officers and directors, Accessed April 19th, 2012
- Amazon, Crunchbase, accessed December 9, 2007.