Calgene was a biotechnology company based in Davis, CA. It was the first company in the United States to commercialize a genetically modified organism (GMO), the Flavr Savr tomato. The Flavr Savr tomato, which was commercialized in 1994, was a genetically engineered tomato designed to have a long shelflife. However, it was unsuccessful for a variety of reasons and was withdrawn from the market. Calgene was acquired by Monsanto in 1997.
Articles & sources
- Chemical companies, lobbyists and agribusiness
- Food and Drug Administration
- Agricultural Biotechnology Policy in the Clinton Administration
- Flavr Savr Tomato
- Genetically Modified Organisms
- Calgene, Inc., BusinessWeek.com, Accessed October 24, 2011.
- Patricia Commins"Monsanto to Buy Out Calgene," Reuters, April 1, 1997.