MetLife, based in New York City, is one of the largest insurance companies in the U.S., its main subsidiary being Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. MetLife sells a range of insurance products: prepaid legal plans, annuities, auto insurance, disability income, home insurance, long-term care insurance, and it also does financial planning. Its international segment sells in the Asia/Pacific region, Europe, and Latin America.  
In 2006, sales were US$48.4 billion with profits of US$6.3 billion. 
Key executives and 2006 pay: 
- C. Robert Henrikson, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, $18,889,570
- Steven A. Kandarian, Chief Investment Officer
- William J. Wheeler, Chief Financial Officer, $3,899,966
Selected members of the Board of Directors: 
- Sylvia Mathews Burwell, President of the Global Development Program at The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Former Deputy Chief of Staff to President Bill Clinton
- R. Glenn Hubbard, Dean of the Graduate School of Business at Columbia University, Director of the Tax Policy Program for the American Enterprise Institute
- Helene L. Kaplan, Former Director of JPMorgan Chase & Co., Exxon Mobil Corporation, and Verizon Communications Inc.
- John M. Keane, Senior Advisor to Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., Former Chief Operating Officer of the U.S. Army, Director of General Dynamics Corporation, Military contributor and analyst with ABC News and is a member of the United States Department of Defense Policy Board
- Hugh B. Price, Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution, was a Senior Advisor to the law firm of DLA Piper, was President and Chief Executive Officer of the National Urban League, is a Director of Verizon Communications, Inc.
- William C. Steere, Jr., was Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Pfizer Inc
200 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10166
- MetLife Profile, Hoovers, accessed December 2007.
- Home page, MetLife, accessed December 2007.
- 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed December 2007.
- Metropolitan Life lobbying expenses, Open Secrets, accessed December 2007.
- Executive Officers, MetLife, accessed December 2007.
- C Robert Henrikson, Forbes, accessed December 2007.
- William J Wheeler, Forbes, accessed December 2007.
- Board of Directors, MetLife, accessed December 2007.
Related SourceWatch articles
This article may include information from Tobacco Documents Online.
|Search the Documents Archives of the Tobacco Industry|
|Legacy Tobacco Documents Library:|