Sylvia Mathews Burwell
Sylvia Mathews Burwell is the director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget. She was formerly the president of the Walmart Foundation, starting in late 2011. Prior to that, she was the President of the Global Development Program at The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
According to a bio of her written in 2008:
- "Sylvia Mathews Burwell, age 42, is President of the Global Development Program at The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Ms. Burwell joined the Foundation in 2001 as Executive Vice President and served as its Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director from 2002 to April 2006. Prior to joining the Foundation, she served as Deputy Director of the Office of Management and Budget in Washington, D.C. from 1998. Ms. Burwell served as Deputy Chief of Staff to President Bill Clinton from 1997 to 1998, and was Chief of Staff to Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin from 1995 to 1997. She also served as Staff Director for the National Economic Council from 1993 to 1995. Ms. Burwell was Manager of President Clinton's economic transition team. Prior to that, she was an Associate at McKinsey and Company from 1990 through 1992. She is a Chairman's Advisory Council Member of the Council on Foreign Relations, and a member of the Pacific Council on International Policy, the Aspen Strategy Group and the Nike Foundation Advisory Group. In addition, Ms. Burwell is a Governing Council Member of the Miller Center of Public Affairs at the University of Virginia. Ms. Burwell received a bachelor's degree in government, cum laude, from Harvard University in 1987 and a bachelor's degree in philosophy, politics and economics from Oxford University, where she was a Rhodes Scholar. Ms. Burwell has been a Director of MetLife and Metropolitan Life Insurance Company since 2004."
- Director, Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa 
- Former member, President's Interagency Council on Women 
Resources and Articles
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa
- Second Green Revolution
- Robert Rubin
- Bill Clinton
- Council on Foreign Relations
- U.S. Office of Management and Budget, OMB Leadership, governmental agency website, accessed June 2013.
- Walmart, Walmart Foundation Names New President, corporate press release, October 14, 2011, accessed April 4, 2012.
- Sylvia Mathews Burwell, MetLife, accessed April 29, 2008.
- AGRA Board & Staff, Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa, accessed December 9, 2007.
- Members, President's Interagency Council on Women, accessed March 17, 2009.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|