Skeptical and Industrial IPCC Contributors
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Many commentators have suggested that the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is a forum for consenting scientists only. The implication being that skepticism is kept out of the IPCC process. Such a claim needs to be examined in context.
This SW resource is intended to collate a list of IPCC contributors (past and present) who present a skeptic view of climate science or of the impacts of climate change and why those impacts should be mitigated. The above will be limited to a brief assessment of their work outside the IPCC and a summary of their contribution to the IPCC. Additionally there is a short list of industrial and commercial interested parties.
This list is incomplete, the non inclusion of an individual should not be taken to imply anything.
- Richard Tol is coordinating lead author in AR5 the next assessment report of Working Group II on Chapter 10 entitled Key economic sectors and services . He was in Working Group 2 of AR4, listed as both a reviewer  and a contributor  to Working Group III of the second assessment report Chapter 2: Decision-making frameworks for addressing climate change and also Chapter 6: The social costs of climate change: greenhouse damage and the benefits of control  Richard Tol is also a reviewer of the synthesis report AR4 .
- Dr Sonja Boehmer-Christiansen was a contributor to Working group III of the third assessment report 
- Jim Skea of the University of Sussex has written several books with Dr. Sonja Boehmer-Christiansen , he also served on WG2 of the AR4 
- Being well in to his 80s has not stopped Vincent Gray from contributing. He was one of 60 'accredited experts' who in April 2006 wrote to Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper denying climate change and urging inaction.  According to his profile on the Heartland Institute website, Vincent Gray submitted 1878 comments (16 percent of the total) on the 2007 IPCC report. He is also a founder of the skeptical body New Zealand Climate Science Coalition Vincent Gray, 'Climate Consultant' is listed as an expert reviewer on Working Group I AR4  and is a reviewer of the synthesis report AR4  and Working Group III of AR4 
- Roger Pielke Jnr. stated on BBC Newsnight that he was a reviewer on the IPCC. He was on WG2 of AR4 
- John R. Christy was a lead author on the 2001 report . He was also a contributor to Working Group I of the Fourth Assessment Report  and an Expert Reviewer to Working Group I of the Fourth Assessment Report . His skeptical credentials are well known with close links to Roy Spencer of the George C. Marshall Institute.
- Nils-Axel Mörner claims to have been an expert reviewer on the 2000 and 2006 reports of the IPCC. That is likely to mean AR3 and AR4 . Indeed his name is listed as a reviewer on page 921 of Working Group II on AR4 . He is a vocal critic of the IPCC and of sea level projections.
- Darling of climate deniers everywhere Richard Lindzen was lead author of chapter 7 of the third assessment report, and went on to criticize it publicly 
- Ross McKitrick was an expert reviewer for AR4 Working Group I . McKitrick's skeptical credentials are well known, he describes parts of the report as "heavily spun". Bizarrely he is referring to temperature data, paleoclimate reconstructions and “attribution”, McKitrick is an Associate Professor of Economics.
- Another expert reviewer on AR4 Working Group I was Stephen McIntyre of University of Toronto and author of the Climate Audit blog .
- Indur Goklany of the Department of the Interior is listed as a contributor on page 927 of Working Group 2 AR4. Mr Goklany is a frequent critic of the consensus and of makes bold claims about the supposed "ban" on DDT 
- Hans von Storch is listed as a contributor to IPCC WGII Fourth Assessment Report  Although it is hard to pin down Professor Von Storch's position on the skeptic spectrum he is behind the Die Klimazwiebel blog, and was the editor for a short time of the journal Climate Research, (which published Baliunas and Soon).
- Eduardo Zorita was a contributing author in the Fourth Assessment Report of the IPCC and an expert reviewer WG I. He also contributes to Die Klimazwiebel and criticized a number of scientists in the immediate aftermath of the Climategate email release 
- Dr. Hans H.J. Labohm is an IPCC reviewer served on Working Group II of AR4and Working Group III of AR4 and skeptic (identified by Marc Morano) Dr Labohm writes "Global climate changes all the time due to natural causes and the human impact still remains impossible to distinguish from this natural ‘noise.' This may have some weight if it were coming from a climatologist but Dr Labohm's field is economics.
- Australian skeptic William Kininmonth 'Science Advisor' to the SPPI is listed as an expert reviewer on the IPCC fourth assessment report , Working Group I and a reviewer to Working Group II of the same report.He also contributed to Chapter 3: Observed climate variability and change of the second assessment report
- Another Expert Reviewer to Working Group I of the Fourth Assessment Report was Patrick Michaels of the University of Virginia . He also is credited as a reviewer for Working Group III of AR4 (on this occasion credited as of University of Virginia and Cato Insitutute ).
- Australian skeptic economist Aynsley Kellow was a reviewer to Working Group II of AR4
- Paul Reiter of the Pasteur Institute counts his association with the GWPF and the Heartland Institute amongst his skeptic credentials . He served as an expert reviewer on Working Group II of the Fourth Assessment Report
- AR3 lists R. Balling of Arizona State University, this is Robert C. Balling as a contributing author to chapter 2.
- Chapter 7. Physical Climate Processes and Feedbacks of the Third Assessment Report benefitted from the input of R.W. Spencer Marshall Space Flight Center, USA this is Roy Spencer of the George C. Marshall Institute
- Author of Climate etc. blog Judith Curry who famously argues that the IPCC has made a poor job of characterising uncertainties in climate science appears as a Contributing Author to Chapter 7. Physical Climate Processes and Feedbacks on WG I of the Third Assessment Report. 
- Chris de Freitas was a reviewer of Working Group I of the second and third assessment reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Fritz Vahrenholt was a reviewer if the IPCC Special Report on Renewable Energy (SRREN) 2011.  . Vahrenholt delivered the 2012 annual GWPF lecture.
Industrial and Commercial Contributors
- Haroon Kheshgi of ExxonMobil Corporate Strategic Research is a reviewer on Chapter 10 WGII AR5 and served on WGII of AR4  and was an expert reviewer on WG I of AR4.  He was a lead author of Chapter 3. The Carbon Cycle and Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide in the Third Assessment report and also a contributing author of Chapter 12. Detection of Climate Change and Attribution of Causes 
- Exxon also sent Brian Flannery to assist Working Group III (mitigation) on the third assessment report
- Four delegates of the World Bank are listed as contributors or reviewers to WGII AR4
- Raymond M Wright, of the Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica is a lead author of Chapter 10 of the Special Report on Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation 
- Working Group II of AR4 lists a Jean-Yves Caneill of Electricité de France better known in the english speaking world as EDF. Jean-Yves is also a reviewer of the synthesis report AR4 
- Working Group II of AR4 lists a Andrew F. Dlugolecki , Consultant. He is a consultant to the insurance industry and employee of General Accident Fire & Life Assurance Corporation Plc. He was also a Convening lead author to Chapter 17 of AR2
- Shinichi Nakakuki of the Tokyo Electric Power Company is a reviewer of the synthesis report AR4 
- The Chevron Corporation was represented sending one Arthur Lee to help draw up the synthesis report AR4.
- Shell sent a G.R. Davis to assist Working Group III (mitigation) on the third assessment report
- The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers sent a Richard Hyndman to review Working Group III of the Fourth Assessment Report
- Mustafa Babiker and Awwad Alharthi of the Saudi Arabian oil firm Aramco is a contributor to the Fourth Assessment Report WG III
- Steven Baughcum and Michael Danillin represented Boeing at the review stage of WGIII of the fourth assessment report 
- Chris Mottershead of BP reviewed WGIII of the fourth assessment report 
- Another interesting name to appear on the list of reviewers for WGIII fourth assessment report is Lenny Bernstein of L. S. Bernstein & Associates, L.L.C. advisor to the George C. Marshall Institute and other commercial interests 
- Aircraft manufacturer Boeing sent one Steven Baughcum and Michael Danilin to assist Working Group III on the Fourth Assessment Report. 
- John Owens of 3M is listed as an expert reviewer of AR4 
Related SourceWatch articles
- First Assessment Report WGI Contributors http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/far/wg_I/ipcc_far_wg_I_app_03.pdf
- First Assessment Report WGI Reviewers http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/far/wg_I/ipcc_far_wg_I_app_04.pdf
- First Assessment Report WGIII Response Strategy Contributors http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/far/wg_III/ipcc_far_wg_III_front_matters.pdf
- Lead Authors , Authors and Contributors to the second Assessment Report (Page 57)http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/climate-changes-1995/ipcc-2nd-assessment/2nd-assessment-en.pdf
- Contributors to the IPCC WGI Third Assessment Report The Scientific Basis http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg1/index.php?idp=558
- Reviewers of the IPCC WGI Third Assessment Report The Scientific Basis http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg1/index.php?idp=559
- Authors and Expert Reviewers Third Assessment Report Working Group II: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg2/index.php?idp=688
- Authors and Reviewers Third Assessment Report Working Group III: Mitigation http://www.grida.no/publications/other/ipcc_tar/ http://www.grida.no/publications/other/ipcc_tar/
- Reviewers of the IPCC WGI Fourth Assessment Report http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg1/en/annexessannex-iii.html
- Contributors of the IPCC WGII Fourth Assessment Report http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg2/en/annexessannex-ii.html
- Reviewers of the IPCC WGII Fourth Assessment Report http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg2/en/annexessannex-iii.html
- Contributors to the IPCC WGIII Mitigation Fourth Assessment Report http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg3/ar4-wg3-annex3.pdf
- Reviewers of the IPCC WGIII Mitigation Fourth Assessment Report http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg3/ar4-wg3-annex4.pdf
- Synthesis Report Fourth Assessment Report Core Writing Team members http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/syr/en/annexessiv-1-core.html
- Synthesis Report Fourth Assessment Report Extended Writing Team member http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/syr/en/annexessiv-2-extended.html
- Synthesis Report Fourth Assessment Report Reviewers and Review Editors http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/syr/en/annexessannex-v.html
- Fifth Assessment Report (unpublished) authors http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/ar5/ar5_authors_review_editors_updated.pdf
- Stoat Yet another pointless pile of septics 
- Barry Bickmore (2011-01-19). Orrin Hatch on Marc Morano’s IPCC Dissenters. Anti-Climate Change Extremism in Utah. Retrieved on 2011-06-28.
"I went the extra mile, and not only looked at Senator Hatch’s list of dissenting “IPCC scientists,” but searched through Marc Morano’s latest update to see if I could find any more. ...here they are, divided into “Lead Authors,” “Contributing Authors,” “Reviewers,” and “Other Scientists Associated with the IPCC”...put this list in perspective. According to the Wikipedia article on the IPCC, contributors to the 2007 report (AR4) included “more than 2500 scientific expert reviewers, more than 800 contributing authors, and more than 450 lead authors.”"
- Jules Klimaatblog John O'Sullivan: Look Ma, no brain! Monday, 19 September 2011
- Page 912""
- Page 896""
- Page 924""
- Page 929""
- Page 927""
- "Page 911"
- "Page 928"
- "Page 932 "