New Zealand Climate Science Coalition
The New Zealand Climate Science Coalition was launched in May 2006 with the aim of "refuting what it believes are unfounded claims about anthropogenic (man-made) global warming." The domain name for the group was registered by Terry Dunleavy on April 24, 2006.
The initiating press release made these claims for the founding members:
- Dr Vincent Gray, of Wellington, an expert reviewer for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), most recently a visiting scholar at the Beijing Climate Centre in China.
- Dr Gerrit J. van der Lingen, of Christchurch, geologist/paleoclimatologist, climate change consultant, former director GRAINZ (Geoscience Research and Investigations New Zealand).
- Prof. August H. Auer, of Auckland, past professor of atmospheric science, University of Wyoming; previously chief meteorologist, Meteorological Service (MetService) of New Zealand.
- Professor Bob Carter, a New Zealander, now at the Marine Geophysical Laboratory, James Cook University, Queensland, Australia.
- Warwick Hughes, a New Zealand earth scientist living in Perth, who conducts a comprehensive website: www.warwickhughes.com
- Roger Dewhurst, of Katikati, consulting environmental geologist and hydrogeologist
- Mr Owen McShane, of Kaiwaka, director of the Centre for Resource Management Studies, who is convenor of the establishment committee.
The coalition website also provides links to those of The Advancement of Sound Science Coalition's Dr Fred Singer, Junkscience.com, the Lavoisier Group, Australia, John Daly , the Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change, Ken Ring's weather prediction website www.weatherpredict.com as well as as Steve McIntyre's Climate Audit website.
A press release dated 16 July 2006 identifies Rear Admiral Jack Welch, as chairman of the New Zealand Climate Science Coalition. This press release was related to the fraudulent Wegman Report issued by Energy and Commerce Committee of the US House of representatives attacking Mann's Hockey Stick graph.
Four of the members here are in a social network which signed the infamous anti-Kyoto letter in April 2006 organized by Friends of Science  : Gray, Lingen, Auer and Carter. Barry Brill is currently chairman of the New Zealand Climate Science Coalition.
- Dr. Vincent Gray
- Dr. Gerrit J. van der Lingen
- August H. Auer
- Bob Carter
- Warwick Hughes
- Roger Dewhurst
- Owen McShane, director of the Centre for Resource Management Studies
- Barry Brill
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Centre for Resource Management Studies, "Scientists Group to Refute Global Warming Claims", Media Release, May 1, 2006.
- "Whois data for climatescience.org.nz", Whois, accessed June 2009/
- Heartland Institute Form 990
- New Zealand Climate Science Coalition, "Lessons for NZ in reports of climate change", Media Release, July 16, 2006.
- Press release, "Greenpeace ad hominem attack rejected," New Zealand Climate Science Coalition, March 9, 2009.