This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's spotlight on global corporations.
Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
Unilever is a food, home, and personal care products corporation consisting of Unilever N.V. which is based in the Netherlands and Unilever Plc which is based in the United Kingdom. Its product are sold worldwide with brands such as Axe deodorent, Dove soap, Pond's cold cream, Suave shampoo, Vaseline petroleum jelly, Signal toothpaste, Surf laundry soap, Slim Fast weight loss foods, Lipton tea, Ben & Jerry's ice cream, Breyers ice cream, and Country Crock margarine. , 
In 2006, it had sales of US $52.3 billion with profits of US $5.4 billion. 
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Unilever is on the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals list of companies that perform animal testing. . Products tested include cosmetics, toiletries, household cleaners, foods, food additives and chemicals. 
Key people: 
- Paul Polman – Chief Executive Officer
- Jean-Marc Huët - Chief Financial Officer
- Michael Treschow – Chairman Unilever N.V. and PLC
- Louise Fresco
- Ann Fudge
- Charles E. Golden
- Byron E. Grote
- Hixonia Nyasulu
- Malcolm Rifkind
- Kees J. Storm
- Jeroen van der Veer
- Paul Walsh
Former key people
- Patrick J. Cescau, Group Chief Executive and Director
- David Landers, President and COO, Unilever Bestfoods North America
3013 AL Rotterdam
United Kingdom headquarters:
Unilever House, Blackfriars
EC4P 4BQ, United Kingdom
Articles & sources
- Animal testing
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Charles B. Strauss, Former Chief Executive Officer of Unilever United States
- Ben Cohen
- Neil Cameron
- Lord Wright of Richmond - former board member
- Steve Williams
- Rudy Markham
- Unilever Profile, Hoovers, accessed December 2007.
- Our brands, Unilever, accessed December 2007.
- Unilever N.V. Profile, Hoovers, accessed December 2007.
- Clearinghouse on Environmental Advocacy and Research, project of the Environmental Working Group, Information of the American Legislative Exchange Council, archived organizational profile, archived by Wayback Machine December 2, 2000, accessed August 19, 2011
- Caring Consumer Results for Companies That Do Test on Animals, PETA.org, accessed February 2009
- Ark on-line Animal Testing by the Cosmetic Industry, accessed February 2009
- Unilever lobbying expenses, Open Secrets, accessed December 2007.
- Board, Unilever, accessed January 27, 2011.
- Marc Malkin Pamela Anderson's Axe to Grind, Planet Gossip, April 2007
- Profile: Unilever, Co-op America, accessed December 2007.
- Compassionate Action Institute Compassionate Action Alerts: Boycott Unilever, 2002
- Richard Seymour, "Why is Unilever playing hardball with its striking workers?", The Guardian, December 9, 2011.