Center for Private Enterprise
According to CIPE's website (as of January 10, 2007):
The Center for International Private Enterprise is a non-profit affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. CIPE has supported more than 1,000 local initiatives in over 100 developing countries, involving the private sector in policy advocacy and institutional reform, improving governance, and building understanding of market-based democratic systems. CIPE provides management assistance, practical experience, and financial support to local organizations to strengthen their capacity to implement democratic and economic reforms. CIPE programs are also supported through the United States Agency for International Development...
CIPE's Grant Program
CIPE’s grants program provides management assistance, practical experience, and financial support to business groups and think tanks to strengthen their expertise while accomplishing key development goals. The four-step Grants Management Program includes:
All grantees are indigenous to their local areas. To qualify, the grantee organization must have a grassroots constituency and a detailed action plan.
Nearly all projects funded through CIPE require the grantee to provide matching funds to facilitate the program’s implementation. Utilizing grant funds from the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), CIPE leverages additional funds from the private sector and other organizations to maximize efforts to strengthen democracy and market-oriented reform.
Over the years, CIPE has established field offices to coordinate large-scale technical assistance programs. Currently, CIPE maintains six field offices to provide an on-the-ground presence in key transitioning areas and to coordinate wider regional efforts.
Source: CIPE website, accessed January 2007.
Board of Directors (2005)
|Amb. John A. Bohn
GlobalNet Venture Partners – Chairman and CEO
|Daniel W. Christman
Lt. General, U.S. Army (Ret.)
US Chamber of Commerce – Senior VP for International Affairs
Triple Creek Ranch – President and CEO
|Stanton D. Anderson
McDermott, Will & Emery – Attorney at Law
Washington Office, Manatt, Phelps & Phillips – Partner
|Thomas J. Donohue
US Chamber of Commerce – President and CEO
|Peter S. Walters
Guardian Industries Corp. – Group VP
|Debora A. Guthrie
Capitol Health – Founder and CEO
|Julia K. Hughes
International Development Systems, Inc. – President
Civitas Group – Senior Advisor
|John P. Linstroth
JPL Land Development Co. – President
|Michael D. McCurry
Public Strategies Group, LLC – President
American Education and Health Foundation – Founder and Board Chair
Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce – Senior VP
|Michael A. Samuels
Samuels International Associates, Inc. – President
|Kenneth R. Sparks
Federal City Council – Executive VP
|Sandra E. Taylor
Starbucks Coffee Co.
Corporate Social Responsibility – Senior VP
|Mary Ann Gooden Terrell
Superior Court of the District of Columbia – Associate Judge
The Heritage Foundation – Executive VP and COO
|Steve Van Andel
Alticor, Inc. – Chairman
|Lynda Y. de la Viña, Ph.D.
John Hopkins Univ. – Associate Dean
|George J. Vojta
Financial Services Forum – Director
|Biographical info can be found here|
- Gregori Lebedev (CIPE Chairman), Senior Advisor, Adelphi Capital, LLC
- Grant D. Aldonas - Principal, Split Rock International
- Stanton D. Anderson - Attorney at Law, McDermott, Will, and Emery
- Barbara Barrett - President and CEO, Triple Creek Ranch
- Daniel W. Christman - Lt. General, U.S. Army (Ret.), Senior Vice President for International Affairs, United States Chamber of Commerce
- Harry Clark - Managing Partner, Stanwich Group, LLC
- June DeHart - Partner, Washington Office, Manatt, Phelps, & Phillips
- Lynda Y. de la Vina, Ph.D. - Dean, College of Business, University of Texas at San Antonio
- Thomas J. Donohue - President and CEO, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Bonnie G. Hill, Ed.D. - President, B. Hill Enterprises LLC
- Julia K. Hughes - President, International Development Systems, Inc.
- L. Oakley Johnson - Senior Vice President, Corporate Affairs, American International Group, Inc.
- John P. Linstroth - President, JPL Land Development Corporation
- Michael D. McCurry - President, Public Strategies Group LLC
- Arthur J. Rothkopf - Senior Vice President and Counselor to the President of the Chamber, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Janice Rys - Senior Vice President, Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce
- Michael A. Samuels - President, Samuels International Associates Inc.
- Kenneth R. Sparks - President and CEO, Ken Sparks Associates, LLC
- John H. Stout - Vice President, Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.
- Sandra E. Taylor - Senior Vice President, Corporate Social Responsibility, Starbucks Coffee Company
- Mary Ann Gooden Terrell - Associate Judge, Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- Phillip Truluck - Executive Vice Pressident and COO, The Heritage Foundation
- Steve Van Andel - Chairman, Alticor, Inc.
- George J. Votja - Chairman, eStandards Forum
- Peter S. Walters - Group Vice President, Guardian Industries Corp.
- Thomas J. Donohue - President
- Lt. Gen. Daniel W. Christman (Ret.) - Vice President
- John D. Sullivan - Secretary and Tresurer
- Steven B. Rogers - Assistant Treasurer
- Gregori Lebedev CIPE Chairman
- Thomas J. Donohue
- Lt. Gen. Daniel W. Christman (Ret.)
- Stanton D. Anderson
- June DeHart
- John P. Linstroth
- Michael A. Samuels
- Phillip Truluck
- George J. Vojta
- Oakley Johnson
- Arthur Rothkopf
- John Stout
- Jean Rogers, Deputy Director for Programs at CIPE
- 1155 15th Street NW, Suite 700
- Washington, DC 20005
- Telephone: (202) 721-9200
- Web: http://www.cipe.org