David J. Bellamy OBE (born 1933) is an English professor, botanist, author, broadcaster and environmental campaigner. While immensely successful in all these areas, and a household name in Britain, in recent years he has taken up the cause of denying global warming, and he has expressed a very public opposition to windfarms. His 2004 article in the Daily Mail, which lambasted mainstream positions on climate change, prompted environmental writer Mark Lynas to ask "Has David Bellamy gone mad"?. A typographical error in a recent letter he published in the New Scientist (April 16th, 2005) suggested a large percentage (555 of 625!!) of the world's glaciers were advancing, not retreating. This was a gift for global warming deniers, but turned out to be untrue and misleading, after George Monbiot got on the detective trail. 
In 2005 David spoke at a conference organized by the Scientific Alliance, and more recently at The 2008 International Conference on Climate Change.
On May 25, 2005, The Times reported that: "Last week Plantlife International, Britain’s leading charity dedicated to the conservation of wild plants, wrote to Bellamy to say that his term of office would end in the autumn and he would not be asked to renew it.
- Honorary Patron, Earth Focus Foundation 
- Former Candidate, Referendum Party 
- Former Trustee, World Land Trust (1992 - 2002) 
- He is an advisor to the Campaign to Repeal the Climate Change Act ( repealtheact.org.uk )
President of: 
- Wildlife Trusts partnership
- Population Concern 
- Coral Cay Conservation
- National Association for Environmental Education
- British Naturalists Association
- Galapagos Conservation Trust
- British Institute of Cleaning Science
- British Trust for Conservation Volunteers
- Fauna and Flora International
- Marine Conservation Society
- Australian Marine Conservation Society
- Trustee of the Living Landscape Trust
- President, Conservation Foundation (UK) 
- Council, Zoological Society of London
- David Bellamy on Wikipedia
- "Global Warming? What a Load of Poppycock!" by David Bellamy, The Daily Mail, 9 July 2004
- Correspondence with David Bellamy, Monbiot.com, 19 August 2004
- "Has David Bellamy gone mad?" by Mark Lynas, 14 July 2004
- "Junk Science" by George Monbiot, The Guardian 10 May 2005
- Paul Cahalan, "David Bellamy: 'I was shunned. They didn't want to hear'", Independent, January 13, 2013.
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- ↑ Wildlife groups axe Bellamy as global warming ‘heretic’, Times, accessed October 3, 2008.
- ↑ Earth Focus Foundation Governance, organizational web page, accessed January 20, 2013.
- ↑ David Bellamy, World Land Trust, accessed June 8, 2009.
- ↑ ""
- ↑ About, Conservation Foundation (UK), accessed October 3, 2008.
- ↑ Countryside Restoration Trust Who we are, organizational web page, accessed February 17, 2012.
- David Bellamy, "The price of dissent on global warming", The Australian, November 25, 2008.