Prof. Dr. Gerhard Gerlich is a global warming skeptic who teaches Mathematical Physics at the Technical University Carolo-Wilhelmina in Braunschweig (Germany).
Gerlich was a member of the European Science and Environment Forum. The agenda of this group was to discredit government safety regulations and reports on such things as genetically-engineered bovine growth hormone, pesticides, public smoking, and global warming.
Gerlich spoke at a 1995 conference organized by the European Academy for Environmental Affairs and the Science and Environmental Policy Project (SEPP). He ended his talk ("Die physikalischen Grundlagen des Treibhauseffektes und fiktiver Treibhauseffekte", or "The physical fundamentals of the greenhouse effect and fictitious greenhouse effects") by saying
...the CO2-greenhouse effect of the earth atmosphere is pure fiction of people who like to use big computers, without physical fundamentals. 
This 1995 conference was held in Leipzig, and resulted in the Leipzig Declaration on Global Climate Change, which Gerhard Gerlich signed.  Professor Gerlich's first paper was published in the 1970's.
Gerlich's views have been refuted many times:
"Jochen Ebel has posted the most complete refutation, line by line, in German (PDF). Arthur Smith has destroyed G&Ts argument about average temperature in arXiv. Much stuff in Rabett Run: here and here and here and here and here. Atmoz article here. Discussion thread at UK Weather World. And of course the definitive RealClimate."
Yes one can write an equation for average temperature. One then gets a number. Of what value, use or meaning is that value. Or one might say, "there are no calculations to determine an average surface temperature of a planet," here. If one qualifies that with the notion that the number has any useful meaning then the statement is self evident and true. But English majors will indeed refute. There is no survey of English majors on their vote about CO2 causing global warming.
Books & Publications
- Gerhard Gerlich, "Vektor- und Tensorrechnung für die Physik," Vieweg, 1977, ISBN 35280300305
- Gerhard Gerlich, "Eine neue Einführung in die statistischen und mathematischen Methoden der Quantentheorie," Vieweg, 1977, ISBN 3528068280
- Wolfgang Thüne, preface by Gerhard Gerlich, "Freispruch - für CO2! Wie ein Molekül die Phantasien von Experten gleichschaltet", Steinherz, Geoffrey, April 2002, ISBN 3980737810
- Gerhard Gerlich & Ralf D. Tscheuschner, Falsification Of The Atmospheric CO2 Greenhouse Effects Within The Frame Of Physics , Version 1.0 (July 7, 2007)
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
- ↑ Re: German Physicists Trash Global Warming "Theory" (2009-12-31). Retrieved on 2010-01-08.
- Gerhard Gerlich, "Treibhausklima: Es fehlen die nachvollziehbaren Begründungen," Handelsblatt, February 8, 1996
- Gerhard Gerlich, Letter to Handelsblatt, Handelsblatt, May 27, 1998