HPV legislation in New Hampshire
Women in Government Ratings
Women in Government, a non-profit network of state level women legislators, receives significant funding from the pharmaceutical industry, including Merck, GlaxoSmithKline, and Digene Corporation -- all with products related to HPV vaccination and testing. According to their report, "The 'State' of Cervical Cancer Prevention in America - 2008" :
Incidence & Mortality (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Cervical Cancer Incidence Rate: 6.6/100,000 (2 / 1)
- Cervical Cancer Incidence Rate/Race: White: 6.5
- Cervical Cancer Mortality Rate: 2.2/100,000 (1 / 1)
- Cervical Cancer Mortality Rate/Race: White: 2.3
Screening (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Cervical Cancer Screening Rate: 88% (2 / 2)
- Cervical Cancer Screening Rate/Race: White: 88.6%
- % Uninsured/Unscreened: 24.8% (1 / 1)
- Medicaid Coverage HPV Testing: Unrestricted (2 / 2)
Healthcare Access (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Rate Uninsured Women: 13% (1 / 1)
- % Low Income/Uninsured Women: 35%
Policy Initiatives and Infrastructure (2008 Score / Cumulative Score (2005–2008)
Screening Requirements (0 / 0)
- There are no new screening requirements.
Task Forces (0 / 2)
- There is no new cervical cancer prevention task force legislation.
Access to HPV Vaccines (0 / 0)
- There is no HPV vaccine activity.
HPV Vaccine Information Programs (0 / 0)
- There is no HPV vaccine information activity.
Miscellaneous (0 / 0)
- There is no new miscellaneous cervical cancer prevention activity.
- In January 2007, New Hampshire became the first state to provide the HPV vaccine free to girls age 11–18 under the state Vaccines for Children program; $4.8 million was budgeted for 2007. Since January, New Hampshire has distributed 14,000 doses of Gardasil and some physicians have a waiting list for the vaccine.
- 2008: Good (11 out of 22 points)
- 2007: Good (10 out of 18 points)
Articles and resources
- Women in Government
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Australia
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Canada
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Europe
- The Marketing of Gardasil in New Zealand
- The Marketing of Gardasil in the United States
- Direct-to-consumer advertising
- Disease Mongering
- Drug industry
- Judith Siers-Poisson, The Politics and PR of Cervical Cancer, a four part series, PRWatch.org, July, 2007.
- "The 'State' of Cervical Cancer Prevention in America - 2008", Women in Government