The Innocence Project "was founded in 1992 by Barry C. Scheck and Peter J. Neufeld at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law at Yeshiva University to assist prisoners who could be proven innocent through DNA testing. To date, 225 people in the United States have been exonerated by DNA testing, including 17 who served time on death row. These people served an average of 12 years in prison before exoneration and release." 
Accessed December 2008: 
- Rodney Ellis Texas State Senator / Innocence Project Board Chair
- Jason Flom Chairman and CEO, Virgin Records
- John Grisham Author
- Calvin Johnson Former Innocence Project client. Exonerated in 1999. Author, Exit to Freedom.
- Eric Lander Director, Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard University. Renowned geneticist and DNA expert.
- Janet Reno Former Attorney General of the United States
- Stephen Schulte Founding Partner and Of Counsel Schulte, Roth & Zabel LLP
- Bonnie Steingart Partner, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Andrew H. Tananbaum, Esq. President and CEO, Capital Business Credit, LLC
- Jack Taylor Innocence Project Board Treasurer
- Paul Verkuil Professor of Law, Cardozo School of Law / Of Counsel, Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Rachel Warren M.K. Enterprises, Inc.