Liberal news outlets
The following are generally considered to be liberal news outlets based either on self-identification or their content, as in news outlets considered to represent a "liberal bias".
A Pew Research Center for The People & The Press report released March 9, 2005, revealed that "Some 75 million Americans, or 37 percent of the total adult population and 61 percent of online Americans, used the Internet to get political news and information" 
- AlterNet alternet.org
- BuzzFlash buzzflash.com and its parent publication, Truthout truthout.org
- Common Dreams commondreams.org
- CounterPunch counterpunch.org
- Cursor cursor.org
- Daily Kos dailykos.com
- Democratic Underground democraticunderground.com
- dKosopedia dkosopedia.com : "written from a left/progressive/liberal/Democratic point of view"
- Eschaton (Atrios) atrios.blogspot.com
- In These Times inthesetimes.com
- Independent Media Center (Indymedia) indymedia.org
- Media Matters for America MediaMatters.org
- Media Transparency
- Michael Moore michaelmoore.com
- Mother Jones motherjones.com
- MSNBC NBCnews.com
- Orcinus dneiwert.blogspot.com
- OpEdNews.com / OpEdNews.com comes up first on google for progressive news and progressive or liberal op-ed, second on google for liberal news (after Rawstory.com)
- Pacific News Service 
- Pangagon pandagon.net
- PR Watch
- Salon salon.com
- Smirking Chimp smirkingchimp.com
- Talking Points Memo talkingpointsmemo.com
- The American Prospect (TAP) prospect.org
- The Hamster the-hamster.com
- The Progressive progressive.org
- The Nation
- The New Republic tnr.com
- The Raw Story rawstory.com
- This Modern World thismodernworld.com
- Tom Paine (Common Sense) tompaine.com
- Truthout truthout.org
- Utne utne.com
Articles & Commentary
- "Who Owns the Media?," Take Back the Media. Links to ownership charts.
- "Media Bias Basics," Media Research Center.
- "News Bias Explored. The Art of Reading the News," University of Michigan.
- Myth: The U.S. has a liberal media. Fact: The media are being increasingly monopolized by parent corporations with pro-corporate or conservative agendas," huppi.com, undated; original source unknown.
- Ray Thomas, "What is a Liberal," Sierra Times, May 21, 2001.
- "The Myth of The Liberal U.S.A. Media. Conservatives Unfairly Dominate Todays Media," oreilly-sucks.com, November 11, 2001. (Scroll down).
- Ramesh Ponnuru, "Our Liberal Media. It’s more plausible than the alternative theory," National Review Online, June 30, 2003.
- John Leo, "Liberal media? I'm shocked!," US News, June 7, 2004.