North Chennai Thermal Power Station
North Chennai power station is a 1,830-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Tamil Nadu, India, which is owned and operated by the Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation (TANGEDCO).
The plant is located at Ennore village.
The power station comprises three 210 megawatt coal-fired units with which were commissioned between 1994 and 1996, as well as two 600 MW units commissioned in 2013.
TANGEDCO consumes approximately 16 million tonnes of coal a year in its existing coal-fired power stations. Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd. and Eastern Coalfields Ltd. supply 13.5 Million tonnes per annum with the remainder "mainly" imported from Indonesia. The coal is transported by rail from the coal mines to the loading ports namely Haldia, Paradip and Vizag and discharged at Ennore Port and Tuticorin Port. Coal for the North Chennai Thermal Power Station is carried via a conveyer belt from the adjoining Ennore port.
Two 600 MW units (Stage II) were added to the power station in 2013.
Tamil Nadu Generation & Distribution Corporation applied for a terms of reference for another 800 MW unit (Stage III) in 2012, with a proposed completion date of December 2017. As of August 2014 the company reports that "various studies for obtaining EC are underway."
Project Details for expansion
Sponsor: Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation
Location: Ennore & Puzhudivakkam villages, Penneri taluk, Thiruvallur district, Tamil Nadu
Coordinates: 13.253013, 80.327804 (exact)
- Stage II, Unit 1: 600 MW
- Stage II, Unit 2: 600 MW
- Stage III, Unit 1: 800 MW
- Stage II, Unit 1: operating - commissioned March 2013
- Stage II, Unit 2: operating - commissioned September 2013
- Stage III, Unit 1: Pre-permit development
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications: Stage III, Unit 1: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, May 28, 2012
North Chennai T.P.S,
Phone No. 044-27950061
Fax No. 044-27950074
e mail : cenctps AT tnebnet.org
Articles and resources
- TamilNadu Electricity Board, "Thermal Power Stations", TamilNadu Electricity Board website, accessed June 2010.
- Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation, "North Chennai Thermal Power Station", Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation website, accessed December 2011.
- TANGEDCO, "Arrangement of coal to meet the requirement of the thermal power stations of TANGEDCO", TANGEDCO website, accessed December 2011.
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, September 2013
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, May 28, 2012.
- List of proposed coal plants. tangedco, March 5, 2014.
- "New Thermal," TANGEDCO website, accessed August 2014