Thomas J. DiLorenzo
Thomas J. DiLorenzo is/was a Professor of Economics at Loyola College in Maryland and George Mason University who attacked tobacco control researchers in the press. He is currently a senior fellow at the Ludwig von Mises Institute. 
- Advisory Board, Second Vermont Republic 
- Advisory Board, Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow 
- Columnist, Lewrockwell.com 
DiLorenzo and the Tobacco Industry
DiLorenzo served as a research fellow at the Independent Institute and the Capital Research Center, two public policy think tanks that have accepted tobacco industry funding. In 1994 the Independent Institute accepted funds from R.J. Reynolds (RJR) specifically to fund anti-tobacco control research by DiLorenzo.
DiLorenzo was paid $30,000 by R.J. Reynolds to write a book called "CancerScam" denigrating the ASSIST Project, a 17-state national tobacco control program, and "Unhealthy Charities" a book attacking the major voluntary health charities (American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, American Lung Association). Pay request was sent to R.J. Reynolds and payments made to the Atlas Economic Research Foundation.
DiLorenzo has co-authored books funded by tobacco companies with James T. Bennett of George Mason University. In 1995, Bennett and DiLorenzo billed RJR $100,000  to produce a book a called Cancerscam: the diversion of federal cancer funds to politics, that attacked health charities for spending what the authors deemed a disproportionate amount of their income on political advocacy. The authors argued the money should be spent on research instead. The Cancerscam book comported perfectly with a 1993 Philip Morris internal Corporate Affairs plan to work towards constraining health charities by restricting how much of their funds could be spent on research and capping the amount the charities could spend on salaries and lobbying. Bates Page -6028 of the 119 page plan
Books and Publications by Thomas DiLorenzo
- The Mirage of Sustainable Development, article from The Futurist (Magazine/Journal) September 1, 1993.
- Unhealthy Charities: Hazardous to Your Health and Wealth (Paperback) by James T. Bennett, Thomas J. Dilorenzo, June 1995, Basic Books.
- Public Health Profiteering (Hardcover) by James T. Bennett, Thomas J. DiLorenzo, Transaction Publishers, August 2001.
Ludwig von Mises Institute
518 West Magnolia Avenue
Auburn, Alabama 36832-4528
Phone: 334 321-2100
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- ↑ Advisory Board, Second Vermont Republic, accessed January 5, 2009.
- ↑ Advisory Board, Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow, accessed September 19, 2008.
- ↑ About, Lewrockwell.com, accessed June 24, 2009.
- ↑ J.T. Bennett, George Mason University This letter sumnarizes our discussion on August 18 regarding our activities during the coming year. Letter. August 31, 1995. 1 page. Bates No. 517118301
Wikipedia Entry includes attacks on Abraham Lincoln and chemical protection.
This article may include information from Tobacco Documents Online.
|Search the Documents Archives of the Tobacco Industry|
|Legacy Tobacco Documents Library:|