The Tides Foundation, founded in 1976, has provided more than $300 million in funding for what it calls "positive social change ... We define 'progressive' as creating a positive impact on people's lives in ways that honor and promote human rights, justice, and a healthy, sustainable environment." The Muckety Website maintains a relationship map of leaders of the Tides Foundation such as Drummond Pike, the founder.
The Tides Foundation is under the organization called Tides. "Each Tides organization pursues a distinct yet related strategy to promote the Tides mission. Tides Foundation works with donors to increase and organize resources for positive social change. Tides Center provides nonprofit management services to over 200 projects across the U.S. working to advance social change. Tides Shared Spaces operates and supports green nonprofit centers."
- Danica Remy - Managing Director
It awards grants in the following issue areas:
- Civic Participation
- Economic Development
- Economic and Racial Justice
- Environmental Justice
- LGBTIQ Communities
- Native Communities
- Progressive Media, Arts and Culture
- Violence Prevention
- Women's Empowerment and Reproductive Health
- Youth Organizing and Development
As a foundation that facilitates funding for a range of non-profit groups, conservative think tanks and groups have criticsed the Tides Foundation as part of their campaign to 'defund the left'.
Funders of the Tides Foundation have included the Pew Charitable Trusts. Recipients of Tides Foundation grants have included Greenpeace, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), Environmental Media Services, and the Environmental Working Group, National Public Radio,
The Tides Foundation also sponsors the Tides Center, which provides training and other startup assistance to activist groups.
Tides "will host its third "Momentum" gathering next Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, July 20-22,  at the swanky W Hotel in the South of Market area of San Francisco." 
Executive Team (2008)
Accessed April 2008: 
- Drummond Pike - Founder and CEO, Tides
- China Brotsky - Senior Vice President, Tides and Managing Director, Tides Shared Spaces
- Brian Byrnes - Senior Vice President, Tides and Managing Director, Tides Foundation
- Carla Dartis - Senior Vice President, Tides and Managing Director, Tides Center
- Ellen Friedman - Executive Vice President, Tides
- Gary D. Schwartz - Senior Vice President, Tides and Managing Director, Tides New York
- Drummond Pike, CEO
- Brian Byrnes, Senior Vice President, Tides and Managing Director, Tides Foundation
- Ellen Friedman, Vice President
- Christopher J. Herrera, Director of Communications
- Tod Hill, Director of Philanthropic Services and Strategies
- Gary D. Schwartz, Director, New York Office
- Lauren Webster, Chief Financial Officer
Accessed April 2008: 
- Noa Emmett Aluli
- Melissa Lynn Bradley
- Joanie Bronfman
- Dan Carol
- Stephanie J. Clohesy
- Quinn Delaney
- Martha Jimenez
- Lawrence Litvak
- John R. O'Neil
- Drummond Pike, Founder and CEO
- john a. powell
- Wade Rathke
- Charles C. Savitt
- Joel Solomon
- Maya Wiley
- Robin Wolaner
- Idelisse Malavé, Former Executive Director
P.O. Box 29903
San Francisco, CA 94129
Phone 415 561-6400
Email info AT tides.org
http://www.tides.org (parent site)
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- Conservatives target the Tides Foundation
- Sustainable Conservation, a project of the Tides Foundation
- Health Care for America Now, a project of the Tides Foundation
- Intimidating foundations
- Intimidating public interest groups
- Intimidating democracy
- Tsunami Fund
- Veronique Spruill
- Iara D. Peng
- Rudolf Steiner Foundation , Third Way
- Jane Bagley Lehman - cofounder
- The Nature Institute
- Karie Brown - former director of programs
- ↑ About page, Tides organization, accessed December 2010.
- ↑ Don Hazen, "Tides Brings Visionaries Together to Contemplate the Progressive Future", AlterNet, July 17, 2008.
- ↑ Executive Team, Tides Foundation, accessed April 30, 2008.
- ↑ Directors, Tides Foundation, accessed April 30, 2008.
- John Stauber, The Progressive Movement is a PR Front for Rich Democrats, March 15, 2013, CounterPunch.
- Don Hazen, "Tides Brings Visionaries Together to Contemplate the Progressive Future", AlterNet, July 17, 2008.