"Van Jones is a Senior Fellow at the Center for American Progress focusing on “green-collar jobs” and how cities are implementing job-creating climate solutions. Van Jones is a globally recognized, award-winning pioneer in human rights and the clean energy economy. He is a co-founder of three successful nonprofit organizations: the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, Color of Change, and Green For All. He is also the best-selling author of the definitive book on green jobs, The Green Collar Economy." 
"In 1996, Van founded the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights. Named for an unsung civil rights heroine, the Center promotes alternatives to violence and incarceration. As an advocate for the toughest urban constituencies and causes, Van has won many honors. These include the 1998 Reebok International Human Rights Award, the international Ashoka Fellowship, selection as a World Economic Forum "Young Global Leader," and the Rockefeller Foundation "Next Generation Leadership" Fellowship.
"Van is also a national environmental leader, having served on the boards the National Apollo Alliance, Social Ventures Network, Rainforest Action Network, Bioneers and Julia Butterfly Hill’s “Circle of Life” organization.
"Van’s dual roles have given him a unique perspective on the country’s problems – and its potential solutions. He is calling for green economic development for urban America. The City of Oakland has adopted the Ella Baker Center's "Green Jobs Corps" proposal, which will train youth for eco-friendly “green-collar jobs.” Now Van is pushing to create the first-ever Green Enterprise Zone, to attract environmentally-sound industry to Oakland.
"A 1993 Yale Law graduate, he is also a husband and father. A rising star, Van champions the most hopeful solutions to America's toughest challenges." 
- Director, 1Sky 
- Advisory Board, Marion Institute 
- Advisory Board, Orion Magazine 
- Advisory Board, People-Centered Development Forum 
- Advisory Board, Circle of Life Foundation (2005) 
- Winner of the 2008 Global Green Environmental Leadership Award 
- Contributing Editor, YES! Magazine 
- Member, Evolutionary Leaders Forum
- Messenger, 350.org 
- Supporter, 99% Spring
- Former Steering Committee, Bay Area Alliance for Sustainable Communities 
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- John Stauber, The Progressive Movement is a PR Front for Rich Democrats, March 15, 2013, CounterPunch.
- ↑ Leaders, Evolutionary Leaders Forum, accessed November 1, 2011.
- ↑ Van Jones, Ella Baker Center, accessed July 17, 2007.
- ↑ 1Sky Board, organizational web page, accessed April 5, 2012.
- ↑ Marion Institute Board, organizational web page, accessed February 12, 2013.
- ↑ Orion Magazine Advisors, organizational web page, accessed April 25, 2012.
- ↑ Directors, People-Centered Development Forum, accessed December 20, 2007.
- ↑ Circle of Life Foundation (from March 2005) Team, organizational web page, accessed May 7, 2012.
- ↑ Millennium Awards, Global Green, accessed August 3, 2008.
- ↑ Contributing Editors, YES! Magazine, accessed January 2, 2009.
- ↑ Messengers, 350.org, accessed December 12, 2011.
- ↑ Bay Area Alliance for Sustainable Communities Steering Committee, organizational web page, accessed June 1, 2013.