Water Wars: External Links 2006
Learn more about the threat drilling for methane gas poses to fresh water.
The following are articles and commentary for the year 2006 related to the main article water wars.
- "Govt refuses to declare Byo water shortage area," The Zimbabwe Independent, January 6, 2006.
- "Tanzania: Water shortage hits Zanzibar," IRIN News, January 11, 2006.
- "Bechtel vs. Bolivia: The People Win!!," The Democracy Center, January 19, 2006.
- "Island-Wide Water Shortage. PM talks about billion dollar investments for New Providence, yet can't keep the water on for current residents," Bahamas B2B.com, January 23, 2006.
- M. Kula Segaran, Media Statement: "Perak Menteri Besar Should Aim for lowest water rate, reduce non revenue water and not threaten 15% Increase & Privatisation of the water board," Democratic Action Party (Malaysia), January 25, 2006.
- Diego Cevallos, "New Scuffles Over Water" (Mexico City), Inter Press Service, February 1, 2006.
- Emily Arnold, "Bottled Water: Pouring Resources Down the Drain," Earth Policy Institute, February 2, 2006.
- Louis Saghagun, "California Water Wars. A mountain enclave and the Los Angeles water authorities are at a standoff over Pine Creek," Los Angeles Times (water.az.gov), February 3, 2006.
- "Iraq: Severe water shortage hits Baghdad suburbs," Reuters, February 6, 2006.
- Flora Aduk and Kabona Esiara, "Water Shortage to Continue Until Water Levels Stabilise," The Monitor (All Africa.com), February 6, 2006.
- "Severe water shortage hits Baghdad suburbs," IRIN (Electronic Iraq), February 6, 2006.
- Rahul Kumar, "Indian Water Activists Launch Anti-Privatization Campaign," OneWorld.net, (Common Dreams), February 7, 2006.
- "Project to meet water shortage in Kochi," New Kerala, February 8, 2006.
- Selwyn Johnston, "Privatizing Australia's water," Water Industry.org, February 9, 2006.
- "Parched" (UK), The Economist, February 9, 2006: "A growing water shortage may change some bad habits."
- "Indian villages facing water shortage due to extraction," Zee News, February 10, 2006. re Coca Cola
- "Severe water shortage in south Delhi," New Kerala, February 16, 2006.
- "The People defeat Bechtel! And other Water Currents...," Food and Water Watch/Indy Media, February 17, 2006.
- Wachira Kangaru, "Water Shortage Eats into Family Budgets" (Nairobi), The Nation (All Africa.com), February 21, 2006.
- "Qinghai to Tackle Water Shortage, Pollution," China Daily, February 21, 2006.
- Paul Pollack, "Private Rivers: Will Transnational Water Companies Swallow El Salvador's Water Supply?" Upside Down World, February 22, 2006.
- "China's Water Shortage May Spur Rural Unrest, Threaten Growth," Bloomberg News, February 23, 2006.
- G. Mahadevan, "Water shortage in many parts of city" (Kerala), The Hindu, February 26, 2006.
- Hannah K. Strange, "British Defense Secretary Warns Of Looming Water Wars," UPI (Terra Daily), February 28, 2006.
- Ben Russell and Nigel Morris, "Armed forces are put on standby to tackle threat of wars over water," The Independent (UK), February 28, 2006 (Subscription required); Free access; scroll down for article; also published in New Zealand Herald.
- Michael McCarthy, "World's most precious commodity is getting even scarcer," The Independent (UK), February 28, 2006. (Subscription required.) Free access; scroll down for article.
- John Reid, "Water Wars: Climate change may spark conflict ... between nations - and says British armed forces must be ready to tackle the violence," The Independent (UK), February 28, 2006. (Subscription required.) Free access.
- Whitley Strieber, "Water Wars," Unknown Country, March 2, 2006.
- "The 21st century's most explosive commodity will be... WATER," KRT London (TMCnet.com), March 7, 2006.
- Katie Harr, "Water Wars: The Mexico City World Water Forum Begins," Political Affairs Magazine, March 17, 2006.
- Mark Stevenson, "Update 4: Protesters (in Mexico) Say Water Wars Turning Deadly," Associated Press (Forbes), March 17, 2006; The Age (Australia), March 19, 2006.
- "Water for Life: the case for private sector investment and management in developing country water systems," Globalisation Institute, March 20, 2006.
- Deborah Kaufman and Alan Snitow, "Market forces seek to control the essence of life -- water," San Francisco Chronicle, March 20, 2006.
- Ebba Kalondo, "East Africa ignores water in food crisis as drought bites," Deutsche Presse-Agentur (Monsters and Critics), March 22, 2006.
- "Mozambique: Drop in Rainfall Could Lead to 'Water Wars'," Agencia de Informacao de Mocambique (Maputo) (allAfrica.com), March 24, 2006.
- Judith Joffe-Block, "Water wars: a week of debate wraps up," El Universal (the Miami Herald Mexico edition), March 25, 2006.
- John Ross, "An Indian Peoples Have Even Fewer Rights Than the Rest of Us ... When Even Water is Not a Human Right," CounterPunch, March 29, 2006.
- Orhan Kilercioğlu, "Water, the crisis waiting to happen," Turkish Daily News, March 29, 2006. Free registration required.
- John Buell, "Water, Water Everywhere, But Hardly a Drop to Drink?" Common Dreams, April 1, 2006.
- Mohammed Mesbahi, "Water Wars," Peace Journalism, April 2, 2006.
- Emily Wax, "Dying for Water in Somalia's Drought. Amid Anarchy, Warlords Hold Precious Resource," Washington Post, April 14, 2006.
- Simon Robinson and Dek Island, "The Waters of Life. Egypt has long tapped into the Nile's power for energy and irrigation. Now, the country's southern neighbors want their fair share," TIME (Europe), April 23, 2006.
- Tim O'Brien, "Activist to speak at May Day event. Program on Latin American workers includes talks, music," Times Union (Albany, NY), April 27, 2006.
- Jon Margolis, "Drain Canada. Prepare for the coming Canadian water war," The American Prospect, May 9, 2006.
- Launce Rake, "Commentary: Canadians fearful of U.S. water grab," Albuquerque Tribune, May 29, 2006.
- Claudia Lopez, translated by Nancy Wallace, "Cochabamba’s Water War: The Start of Other Struggles," Upside Down World, May 29, 2006. "This article is from Claudia Lopez’s talk at the Lessons From Latin American Workers Conference in Troy, NY on May 1, 2006."
- Patrick Bond and Greg Ruiters, "The UNDP's wrong turn on water rights", ZNet Commentary, November 27, 2006.