Sir William Mitchell (Edgar William John Mitchell) was born on September 25, 1925 in Kingsbridge, Devon (UK) and died in Reading (UK) on October 30, 2002.
- Professor of Physics, later Dean of Science and Deputy Vice-Chancellor at Reading University (1961-78)
- Professor of Physics at Oxford University (1978-89)
- Chairman of the UK's Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC) (1985-90)
- Vice President of the European Science Foundation (1989-92)
- President of the CERN Council (1991-93)
William Mitchell was a member Academic Members of the European Science and Environment Forum (ESEF) and a member of the Board of Science Advisors of the Science and Environmental Policy Project (SEPP). Bill Mitchell, as he was known to his friends, signed like many other members of SEPP's Board of Science Advisors the Leipzig Declaration on Global Climate Change.