GlobalGiving 501(c)3 was launched in 2002 by two former World Bank executives, Mari Kuraishi and Dennis Whittle, "who decided to use the Internet to create a highly efficient marketplace."  They boast on their website that GlobalGiving "connects you with grassroots charity projects around the world. We ensure that 85-90% of your donation gets to local project leaders within 60 days." 
They note that: "We have brought together a broad set of partners to build an open, efficient marketplace for international philanthropy."  These include:
Corporate and Institutional Partners
- Advanced Micro Devices, America Online, America's Charities, Applied Materials, CIDI, eBay, Ford Motor Company, Gap, Inc., Google, Hewlett-Packard, National Peace Corps Association, New Heroes, North Face, Pandora, Participant Productions, PayPal, Sister Cities International, SRA - Touchstone, Visa International, Yahoo!
- Acumen Fund, Agros International, Ashoka Innovators for the Public, Asociacion Conciencia/Fundacion Desarrollar, CHF International, Citizen Schools, Creating Hope International, Dreams Can Be Foundation/Dreams Brasil, ECLOF (Ecumenical Church Loan Fund), Freeplay Foundation, Geneva Global, Give India, GlobalGiving, Global Grassroots, GreaterGood South Africa, HelpArgentina, International AIDS Vaccine Initiative, International Development Exchange (IDEX), International Medical Corps, Lambi Fund of Haiti, MADRE, Marketplace 2005, Mercy Corps, Near East Foundation, Occupational Knowledge International, Open Society Institute, Ouelessebougou-Utah Alliance, Pakistan Centre for Philanthropy, RARE, Relief International, Search For Common Ground, Seed Initiative/Seed Awards, The River Fund, Synergos Institute, The Tech Museum Awards, Technoserve, Trickle Up, Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation, WaterPartners International, Wheelchair Foundation, Women for Women International, Women's Funding Network, World Bank Development Marketplace, World Neighbors
- Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, Omidyar Network, Sall Family Foundation, Skoll Foundation, USAID, William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, WK Kellogg Foundation
Friends of GlobalGiving
"These companies and organizations and companies link to the GlobalGiving web site, promote GlobalGiving projects within their own web sites, or otherwise help connect GlobalGiving projects with new donors. The friendship between the two organizations is mutual and supports the growth of both."
- CreateHope, Denali Commission, Development Alternatives, Inc., Exquisite Safaris, JK Group, Matter of Trust, One Shared World, Our Voices Together, Sustainable Travel International, Universal Strength Foundation, tuPatrocinio
"Provide us with strategic, legal, and communications advice."
- Caplin & Drysdale Attorneys, Goodwin Procter, Hot Studio, Leo Burnett, Paper Plane, Stone Yamashita Partners, Wilmer, Cutler, Pickering, Hale and Dorr