Amelia Shaw is a "journalist" working for the Voice of America, and on 12 February 2006 (and thereafter) she appeared on NPR on several occassions reporting on the situation in Haiti. NB: NPR doesn't refer to her other position in a US-propaganda organ. Her reportage of the situation in Haiti paralleled the US-government position (which is hostile to Jean B. Aristide, the president it ousted in 2004).. These are some of the questions in one NPR interview:
- NPR's Steve Inskeep:Was Preval the only person who had thousands of supporters he could turn out into the streets to cause mayhem?
- Shaw: "You know... yes."
There were no references to the violence that marred the elections. At this stage of the elections she is still commenting favorably about the US-preferred candidate who didn't win the elections. Haiti Actions' comment: "Her reports - very much in line with the US State Department - have tried to suggest that René Preval is a troublemaker, a spoil-sport who was trying to undermine the mostly free and fair electoral process in Haiti.".
Comment by Dennis Bernstein:
- Listen to this: In another dramatic infiltration of the mainstream press, Flashpoints has learned that Ameila Shaw, NPR's current correspondent from Haiti is also a reporter with the US government propaganda organization Voice of America. Shaw's reports have appeared both on voice of America and National Public Radio over the last 48 hours.
- Her reports very much in line with the State Department, have tried to suggest that RenRéne Préval is a trouble maker, a spoil sport, who is trying to undermine the mostly free and fair electoral process in Haiti. NPR's willingness to collaborate with Voice of America reporters without revealing her connection, is a glaring example of US government infiltration into the media. Into the media. That's right. Voice of America reporting for national public radio.
- Haiti Action, Propaganda in Haiti: NPR reporter Amelia Shaw is wearing two hats, February 17, 2006.
- Haiti News Watch, U.S. propaganda in Haiti: NPR reporter Amelia Shaw is wearing two hats, San Francisco Bay View, 22/feb/06.