Baralaba South coal project
graphic position=top | background=FFF | border=BA2725 | image=/images/a/aa/Coalswarm_badge.gif | width=216 | height=60 | title=Portal:Coal Issues | link=http://coalswarm.org |text=This article is part of the Coal Issues portal on SourceWatch, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy. See here for help on adding material to CoalSwarm.}}
The Baralaba South coal project is an opencast coal mine proposed to be located approximately 8km south of the township of Baralaba and 115km west of Rockhampton, in the lower Bowen Basin region of Central Queensland, Australia.
If approved the mine would be operated in conjunction with Baralaba Coal's Baralaba North Mine. The Baralaba South mine is predicted to have a 23–40 year project life.
The undated image below shows the exact location of the proposed mine.
Coal Mine Background
Baralaba Coal, was formerly known as Cockatoo Coal, had to bring in the administrators in 2015 after ANZ said it would end the company’s $81 million bank guarantee. As a result, the company’s Baralaba North mine was placed in care and maintenance, with around 75 workers losing their jobs.
Subsequently the application for Baralaba South has been progressed. The final Terms of Reference for the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) was issued to the proponent on 21 July 2017.
Baralaba Coal again entered into voluntary administration in July 2017, the second time this has happened in as many years. This comes after the company failed to raise $77 million with a share entitlement offer.
In 2019 the mine got off the ground again with an application for the mine progressing through the Queensland planning system.
The proponent is required to submit an EIS to the department by 19 January 2020.
Product coal will be hauled approximately 40km by public road to the company’s existing train load-out facility located 2km east of Moura. A diversion of the Baralaba – Theodore Road is proposed to the east of the minbe to enable the mining activity.
- Sponsor: Wonbindi Coal
- Parent Company: Baralaba Coal Company
- Location: 8km south of the township of Baralaba and 115km west of Rockhampton, in the lower Bowen Basin region of Central Queensland, Australia
- GPS Coordinates: -24.256025, 149.851007 (exact)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 6 Mtpa
- Total Resource: 166 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves: 79 million tonnes
- Coal type: Pulverised injection coal and thermal coal
- Mine Size: 2,214 hectares
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Start Year: 2022
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- EMM, "Baralaba South Project", Baralaba Coal Company website, page 1, accessed 14 November 2019.
- Queensland Government, "Baralaba South project" Queensland Government, 1 August 2019.
- Australian Mining, "Baralaba South Project", Australian Mining website, 14 July 2017.
- Australian Mining, "Golding and Wonbindi finalise terms for $420m Baralaba North coal mine",Australian Mining website, 10 May 2018.
- Baralaba Coal Company, "Baralaba South Project Initial Advice Statement", page 13, Queensland Government website, 6 February 2017.
- Baralaba Coal Company, "Baralaba South Project Initial Advice Statement", page 9, Queensland Government website, 6 February 2017.
- Baralaba Coal Company, "Baralaba Coal Company", Baralaba Coal Company website, accessed 14 November 2019.