Boalkhali power station (Beximco)
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bangladesh and coal|
The Boalkhali power station (Beximco) is a proposed 660-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Chittagong, Bangladesh.
The map below shows the location of Boalkhali upazila, the approximate location of the project, in Chittagong district, Chittagong division.
In 2014, the Beximco website stated, "Beximco Power Company Limited is venturing into establishing a 540 MW power project in Bangladesh. The planned 540 MW coal fired power plant will be the first commercial power plant in this country. This power project will pave the way for using imported coal in power generation in Bangladesh. With state-of-the art technology and environment friendly plant design, this power plant will bring new era to the power generation scenario of this energy craving nation." Further details were not available from Beximco. One 2012 mention of the project cited 450 MW as the capacity level.
In June 2016, Beximco Group and China Energy and Engineering Corporation (CEEC) entered into a strategic partnership to develop four major projects: an 8 MW solar power plant at Beximco Industrial Park, a 660 MW ultra-supercritical coal power plant at an unspecified location, a 200MW solar power plant, and a joint venture energy company to build a ‘smart grid' and a countrywide distribution system. It is not known whether Beximco will continue to site the revived project in Boalkhali.
In October 2016 it was reported Beximco signed an agreement with Chinese state-owned company China Resources to build two 660MW coal plants, one at Boalkhali and one at Banshkhali in Chittagong. Beximco said it is in talks with companies from Indonesia, South Africa and Mozambique to purchase coal for the power plants, and the Chinese partners were in talks with IPBC Bank and BOC Bank, both from China, to fund the plants.
However, there have been no further developments, and the plan appears to be shelved.
- Sponsor: Beximco Power Company and China Resources
- Parent company: Beximco Group and China Resources
- Location: Boalkhali upazila, Chittagong district, Chittagong division, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 22.3917273, 91.9204232 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Gross Capacity: 660 MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Imported
- Source of financing: China
Articles and resources
- "Energy," Beximco, accessed August 2014
- "Govt to buy 150MW power from commercial plants," Daily Sun, 12 March 2012
- "Beximco starts energy venture," The Independent, 2 June 2016
- Refayet Ullah Mirdha, "Beximco, Meghna tie up with Chinese investors for power," Daily Star, Oct 18, 2016